RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

In WHS 2011 would you mirror your OS SSD drive if so how?

javaman

So I am planning my WHS2011 system  and I was wondering if you recommend mirroring the OS SSD drive?  I plan on using drivebender to mirror all my data drives, but I wasn’t sure how to mirror the OS.  Should I do it with the MB Raid? Is there a way to do it from the OS itself? Should I only do it after my system is configured the way I want it or should I do it right away. 

Thanks.

Install the OS and mirror the drive from Computer Management console before setting up users and shares, etc.

So does the "Computer Management console" solution not rely on RAID at all then? So after it is setup It will it mirror any changes, and I could boot up with this disk if the primary failed (I could repeat to setup a new mirror)?

It should. The one annoyance I found with using Disk Manager to mirror the boot drive is that I had to mirror each partition separately -- it wouldn't let me mirror the entire drive in one go.

I actually use an Icy Dock Adpater that holds two drives and it handles the mirror.  Probably best to do it in the BIOS.

• Like 1

Excellent Dave, thanks for the links!

Ikon, I wonder if the SSD was formatted 1st would it remove all the partitions?

Edited by javaman

Yeah, that Icydock enclosure is very nice. But if you dont' have one, then using your motherboard's controller is a better option. I'm not a fan of Dynamic disks (which is what is used when you do this through Computer Management)

Excellent Dave, thanks for the links!

Ikon, I wonder if the SSD was formatted 1st would it remove all the partitions?

Are you wanting to wipe the partitions? If so, then I would use the Clean command in DiskPart.