RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
joem

HP Smartmedia Server Restore

joem

I am an avid WHS user. I have a home built server and an HP. Have any of you ran into issues in regard to restoring the factory image on the HP Mediasmart servers? I am just trying to get a head of the curve on this in case the situation comes up in the future. I have an HP 485 by the way. The instructions look pretty straight forward. Thanks and forgive me as I assume this has come up in the past, but I am a new member of the forum. I install these in small businesses.

cskenney

joem - Welcome to our Forums. You will find a ton of information on this forum that will benefit you with both the home built server as well as the HP MediaSmart Servers.

If you are installing these servers as part of your business it would probably benefit you to try the system restore on a test box rather than waiting until you have a customer / client down with a problem. A system restore is fairly straight forward, but there are things that can cause problems (like trying to do it over wireless). There are many on here who have done the system restore numerous times on their systems and know the ins and outs quite well.

Take a box, load on some data and then simply try a system restore. Since it is a test box you aren't risking any data with a mistake and in the end if it were to really go wrong you go do a factory reset to get you back to square one.

Dave

Excellent point by CSKenney. I just did a restore for a customer on Saturday. OS drive died. Insert new OS drive, restore, all shares and data are accounted for. All the PC Backups were history though.

Customer is now backing up automatically to the cloud and to an external USB drive both via the KeepVault for WHS Add-In. Sometimes it takes a scare before you diversify your data locations. Will be running BDBBtoo.

This post is good reading if you want more information on restores.

Dave

joem

Thanks for the replies. The next HP Smartmedia Server I buy I'll hook it up to my local network and use it a few days and then take the HP System Restore disk for factory image and go through the process. As for as restoring an image for a computer that has a failed hard drive, I have had a couple of computers that the NIC card is not recognized by the Server. I had to use Windows Vista 32 bit NIC drives instead of Windows 7 NIC drivers and copy them to a flash drive. Subsequently I found a web site: "Breaking Home Server" http://breakinghomeserver.com/2009/11/30/whs-client-restore-v1-2/ that you can get a custom PC restore disk that has all the drivers I would have needed. I use that disk on computers that I restore where the NIC card is not recognized using the HP restore disk. You guys probably know all about that, but just in case you dont check it out.

katardrax

Hi all!

Related to subject, my OS drive on my EX485 acted funny last night and said the drive was failing. I pulled it out and currently runny Spinrite on the drive to check. My question is: Can I use Ghost to clone the drive to another and replace it should I need? If I can, can the drives be different sizes? I have some 1TB's as spares, would WHSv1 freak out and crash?

Thanks!

KK