RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What CPU/Motherboard to you recommend for running WHS2011 with outside chance I may upgrade to Windows Server 2012 R2

javaman

What CPU/Motherboard to you recommend for running WHS2011 with outside chance I may upgrade to Windows Server 2012 R2

I don't want to break the bank but I'm looking for a MB that will last 7+ years. I plan on just using the GPU on the Motherboard. 

Thanks

I've been running the equipment below for two years now.  The part you didn't mention is what you intend to do, the roles on the server.

Core i3 Sandy Bridge-8Gigs DDR3.  No transcoding but it does serve media to HTPC's

I personally recommend Haswell, but overall, Intel. I've always had issues with AMD. They run waay too hot (and always need an aftermarket heatsink), use a lot of electricity, and have been much more unstable for me....

But for WHS2011, something that supports 8GB of RAM or more. WHS2011 maxes out at 8GB (which you should definitely max out), but Server 2012R2 Essentials supports up to 64GB of RAM IIRC.

If you're not going to be doing much, then a Pentium CPU (modern one, such as a haswell/LGA1150) would be more then enough. Even for essentials.

However, if you're going to be doing a lot more on it, such as transcoding, a Core i3 is a good idea. But it depends on what you want to do.

Yes, basically with this server I plan on backing up all my families 3 PC's, and hosting Ripped movies and music etc to serve to my HTPC.  I don't plan on using it for transcoding but my plans could change so I would probably want at least an i3.

An i3 with 8 gigs will serve you just nicely.  If this serves your needs for the next three years, anything else is overkill.

• Like 1

Ugg, now I know why you said 3 years, you should have said 2 years as support ends for WHS 2011 on 4/12/16; http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+Home+Server 

This is a major drawback as I wanted to keep this server around for 5+ years.  I will look at Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 now, but $400 is a tough bill to swallow compared to $50

Mainstream support will end 4/12/16. They will still support it with security updates and such past that.

^^ What he said. There is no need to avoid WHS2011. It's based on Server 2008r2 and MS has stated that WS2008r2 is going to get security updates for quite a few years yet.

There really is no need for new features in WHS2011. It does what it needs to do, and does it very well. There was a concern about GPT/UEFI support, but there is a patch for that, so it's all good. The only real issue now is actually getting hold of a copy of WHS2011. It appears the days of a $50 server OS are over. It seems it can still be bought in a few places, but it now costs somewhere around $100.