RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

essentials r2 data center

My understanding is the license requires you to buy CALs for your clients - that the WSE2012r2 licensing only applies if it is run as the base OS on a computer.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• jem101

• Drashna Jaelre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi John   I am going to put it onto a standard box, quad core 32 gb ram ect, i ve got to order the rest of my harddrives this weekend and then all is ready to go, but i think ill install the os rega

CallSignMavrick

That's what I suspected and was afraid of. I suppose it's no big deal really, just means I can't use the same box to test various stuff in VM's. I'm likely looking at around 15 people I want to grant access to, which would mean around $2100 in RDS CAL's. Yikes! At a price point like that I'd be more inclined to buy a VPN router for all 4 or 5 locations, connect them together, and have all users on my LAN :) I could be wrong, but my understanding is that in a scenario like this RDS CAL's are not required, since you are not actually using an RDP connection. Then again, they would not be able to use the Server 2012 R2 app on their phones.. Anyway, just thinking out loud at this point.

Thanks for the input!

From the bit level the only difference from Server2012r2 Standard and datacenter is that DC allows unlimited vm from the host OS license,  on both you would legally need the cals if more than 5 users.  With the removal of the Enterprise SKU in 2012,  All Enterprise features such as clustering, DFS central host, above 32GB of ram is now allowed on 2012 Standard.  We actually have used this fact on a couple of new servers at work where we purchased 2012 standard and downgraded to 2008R2 enterprise which is completely legal under licensing.

Drashna Jaelre

You'd need a license of Datacenter and a license for Essentials. 

Standard gives you downgrade rights, but Datacenter does not.

You can also install the Essentials Experience role, but as Ikon has mentioned, that requires purchasing a MINIMUM of 25 user CALs.

However, if you're using resources on the datacenter host or VMs, that requires separate CALs as well. 

Alternatively, use Standard. That goes give you downgrade rights to Essentials. And rights to two VMs. That means that you can run Standard as the host, a Essentials VM, and a Standard VM (for Exchange or what not).

To be honest, find a "Microsft Partner", as they handle this sort of licensing stuff all the time, as that is what the Partner program is for.

• 4 weeks later...

I would actually look at this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-hyper-v-server-2012-r2

set it up as your host, unlimited license no frills or other roles required... do your VMs with anything else you desire.

[edit]

I'm curious to know now... would it be possible to say breakup the Essentials license to run on Hyper-V Server 2012 R2? Say, a VM without Essentials Role, and another with it... two guests on Hyper-V...???

That's what I suspected and was afraid of. I suppose it's no big deal really, just means I can't use the same box to test various stuff in VM's. I'm likely looking at around 15 people I want to grant access to, which would mean around $2100 in RDS CAL's. Yikes! At a price point like that I'd be more inclined to buy a VPN router for all 4 or 5 locations, connect them together, and have all users on my LAN :) I could be wrong, but my understanding is that in a scenario like this RDS CAL's are not required, since you are not actually using an RDP connection. Then again, they would not be able to use the Server 2012 R2 app on their phones.. Anyway, just thinking out loud at this point.

Thanks for the input!

Totally unrelated but... My wife's mother grew up in Martinsburg and still has a lot of family there. Always like to visit when we can. 

If you're into Android one of the hosts of the Android Central Podcast, Jerry,  lives in the immediate area.