RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

essentials r2 data center

Guest techyguyni

Guest techyguyni

Hi Guys

A quick question, I would like to know how the following will affect my licence.

I have server 2012 essentials R2 and would like to upgrade to data centre r2 and enable the essentials role, its at this point I would like to know how it will affect me in running Hyper-v with about 6 vm-s. Will my licence allow it.

thanks paul

My understanding of the license is that you can't do this; at least not entirely. The Essentials Experience on WS2012r2, from what I've heard, is only for migrating an WSE2012r2 to WS2012r2, and the licencing doesn't permit you to run the Essentials Experience longterm.

I don't believe there are any technical issues with it. IOW, I think it's strictly a licence issue.

If you buy DataCenter 2012r2 outright, I believe you can run WSE2012r2 in a VM on DataCenter legally.

The 2012R2 Essentials and HyperV thing is if that is the only OS in use. It allows you to install HyperV on the host, remove the essentials experience role, and then install Essentials in a VM. Different setup.

There is no issue with install at all with installing Essentials as a VM, with Datacenter as the host. I do believe you need the license for both though.

Alternatively.... Standard allows downgrade rights to Essentials. As well as VM rights for TWO VMs. The recommended setup is Standard as the OS, Essentials (downgrade of Standard) as a VM, and a second VM running Standard.

If this is being done for a business, then I recommend talking to a "reseller" or MS partner. The reason for this, is that they are intimately familiar with all the licensing stuff for this. Most of my info comes from listening to the MVP meetings, when I was still a WHS MVP, and from following Susan Bradley's blog. (who is an absolute wealth of knowledge on this stuff, and is just awesome)

I believe, and trust me nobody actually understands Microsoft licensing fully, that if you install a copy of server, enable the Hyper-V role and use a data center license ( which isn't exactly cheap and depends on how many processors you have in the host) the you can use the same license key to install as many copies of windows server you like as VMs.

What I don't think you can do is to also enable the essentials role on the host copy of windows (well at least not legally). I suspect you need to install a server 2012 virtual instance and install the essentials role on it.

Golden rule appear to be, and to be honest here is a good practical reason for it, the host copy of windows server just has the hyper-v role and does nothing else.

I think.....

John

@Drashna, @jem101, sounds like we're saying the same thing really: install DataCenter with its own licence and then install WSE, with its own licence, in DataCenter VM. Yes? No?

Guest techyguyni

Hi Guys

I think ikons post is what iam looking for, install DataCenter with its own licence and then install WSE, with its own licence, if I do this how will essentials handle data centre as a domain controller, always thought essentials could only be or would only work as the primary domain controller, simply putting I just want to put essentials in a vm and use the media sharing capabilitys and remote access part, after reading I could install data centre and enable the essentials role started to confuse me a little, I was not sure if doing this would allow me to run more than 2 vm's and still iam not sure

It won't like that scenario at all, but then again the host (Server 2012 with a DataCenter license) should be doing anything else other than running the Hyper-V role. It certainly shouldn't be a DC.

John

Yeah, in the scenario I described I think you would need to not have the DataCenter server as a DC. Guys, if he sets up DataCenter as a Member, and keeps WSE as the DC, he should be good to go??

Yeah, in the scenario I described I think you would need to not have the DataCenter server as a DC. Guys, if he sets up DataCenter as a Member, and keeps WSE as the DC, he should be good to go??

Yep, that would be fine. In fact I'd go as far as having the host not even a member of a domain but just in a workgroup of it's own.

John

Yep, that would be fine. In fact I'd go as far as having the host not even a member of a domain but just in a workgroup of it's own.

John

I was thinking of it being a member in order to smooth out access to shares on DataCenter. 'Course, if he goes your route and only uses it to host VMs that point would be moot; he could just have shares accessible on other VMs that are members of the Domain.