• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• franky402

• jmwills

• ikon

• jem101

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Friends don't let friends use UPnP Just in general, don't use it.

franky402

Friends don't let friends use UPnP :) Just in general, don't use it.

i just restarted the server and ten services are stopped, network card tcp/ip setting dns is loopback tbh with the server address as dns it would start with those ten stopped as well. 

after i wrote this reply went back refreshed status and now the only stopped service is gupdate google

Edited by franky402
jmwills

Yeah, UPnP does matter.... turn it off! It's a huge security risk.

JW, doesn't DNS need to be set to 127.0.0.1?

Yes it does for the NIC interface connected to the WAN, in this case, the router.  How many NIC's are on this server?

The clients would point to 192.168.1.2 for DNS

jem101

Yeah, UPnP does matter.... turn it off! It's a huge security risk.

JW, doesn't DNS need to be set to 127.0.0.1?

As long as the server has it's own IP address registered as the DNS server you will be fine. You can alternatively put in 127.0.0.1 and the idea is that if sometime in the future you change the server's IP address and forget to also change the DNS setting then having the loopback address in will make sure it still works ok.

John

franky402

Yes it does for the NIC interface connected to the WAN, in this case, the router.  How many NIC's are on this server?

The clients would point to 192.168.1.2 for DNS

just one gigabit intel, how would i set the clients to search there for dns, through a gpo? or before i connect to the domain in the nic setting on client?  like i said earlier i dont have any clients connected yet was wanting to wait untill all server issues were sorted.  Few minutes ago i tried connect a client to the domain and said something to the fact about ad ds couldnt do something.  i can get the exact error from ya. so ill turn off upnp now, will i have to configure the router after?

Im having issues with rd licensing server and all of that stuff, possibly dns related as well?

Edited by franky402
jmwills

Personally, I think the install is hosed and instead of chasing tails, I'd reinstall and start over. 

UpnP wouldn't cause these errors as that is only used by the Remote Web Access setup to automatically open the ports needed.

franky402

Personally, I think the install is hosed and instead of chasing tails, I'd reinstall and start over. 

UpnP wouldn't cause these errors as that is only used by the Remote Web Access setup to automatically open the ports needed.

dang i was thinking that at 4:30 and didnt want to start fresh because updates take forever!  Do you think it would be wise to fresh install, set up super fast to get clients connected and quickbooks running on server then let updates go throughout the day

thanks to the ssd the install is pretty fast and on initial setup when ad and dns get set up do i have an option to configure the nic at that time to set static and dns server?

Edited by franky402
jmwills

I would install the server OS and get it running with the updates it wants to pull first. then backup/create restore/snapshot or whatever your recovery plan is and then connect clients.  Have a fall back point at every major set of patches.

Check for errors before connecting clinets.    You only had one day to get all this done?  What platform are you coming from?

franky402

I would install the server OS and get it running with the updates it wants to pull first. then backup/create restore/snapshot or whatever your recovery plan is and then connect clients.  Have a fall back point at every major set of patches.

Check for errors before connecting clinets.    You only had one day to get all this done?  What platform are you coming from?

no change of hardware so this is the second or maybe third install, the first time seemed like everything went pretty smooth and i really had no idea what i was doing, now it seems like im having every issue in the book, this is my third day dealing with setting up server 2012 and im freaking out now lol... seems like the more i learn the more i get lost

Edited by franky402
jmwills

This OS should just about setup itself.  I've never seen issues like you're having.  If you don't know DNS, I'd stay out of there since it is all setup for you.