RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How well does hot-swapping work?

riahc3

Im using the modded bios on the N54L and Im trying out hot-swapping. I have a issue in WS2012R2 in ESXi that if I unplug a data drive (not the system drive obvious) while WS2012R2, if I restart WS2012R2, it does not boot. I have to restart the entire N54L.

Does anyone have this or similar issues???

The only advantage I saw with turning on the Hot-Swap after flashing the BIOS-Mod was that it was a necessary step to enable Port Multiplier in the eSATA (Port 4).  Hot-Swap is disabled in the Stock BIOS I believe because the infrastructure isn't there to actually support it -- you can turn it on with the BIOS-Mod but if you try to actually "Hot-Swap" things bad things tended to happen to me.

I do use the Icy Dock Duo Swap in the 5.25" drive bay and I can "sorta" Hot-Swap" in that if I turn the power off to the drive in the Duo-Swap first before adding or removing a drive in the Duo-Swap.  I use that to test drives with as well as format or clean them.  I wouldn't do it with a DATA drive.

YMMV.

Hmmm, perhaps the article is wrong??

Edit: Thanks JM. I recall something to that effect from quite a while back: ie: someone posted that the physical hardware to support hot-swap is absent on the MicroServers.

The only advantage I saw with turning on the Hot-Swap after flashing the BIOS-Mod was that it was a necessary step to enable Port Multiplier in the eSATA (Port 4).  Hot-Swap is disabled in the Stock BIOS I believe because the infrastructure isn't there to actually support it -- you can turn it on with the BIOS-Mod but if you try to actually "Hot-Swap" things bad things tended to happen to me.

I do use the Icy Dock Duo Swap in the 5.25" drive bay and I can "sorta" Hot-Swap" in that if I turn the power off to the drive in the Duo-Swap first before adding or removing a drive in the Duo-Swap.  I use that to test drives with as well as format or clean them.  I wouldn't do it with a DATA drive.

YMMV.

Hmmm, perhaps the article is wrong??

Edit: Thanks JM. I recall something to that effect from quite a while back: ie: someone posted that the physical hardware to support hot-swap is absent on the MicroServers.

One thing is that it ENABLES hot-swap. Another thing is that the hardware inside the microserver doesnt support it.

And yes, I confirm that bad things do indeed happen.

• 1 month later...

Appreciate this is s slightly old topic, but in case it helps I'll just add that one of the things I think is missing on the microserver hardware side to support hot swap is inrush current protection.

This protects the psu when you attach a drive in a hot swap. Without it then over the long term there's a good chance of psu damage - or so I was told by an old colleague.