RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Programs crashing after Windows 8.1 Refresh

Technogod

This was a very strange problem. I had programs like Norton Internet Security that wouldn't run properly and intermittent blue screen errors. My Acronis TI 2014 backups would mount fine but would fail validation. This was the key. A post on the Acronis forum stated if you could mount the backup and it failed verification the problem was most likely the RAM. Booted memtest86 5.0 and sure enough one of my RAM modules was bad. Moral of this story is. Acronis TI 2014 is an excellent RAM testing tool.

I struggled for years with my WHS 2011 having intermittent blue screens. Memtest86 never found the problem until the RAM finally failed. I was having intermittent Acronis TI 2012 backup verification failures. If I only knew then what I know now.

Well, OK, but, really, MemTest86 found the problem. Granted, Acronis TI gave you a hint (or, rather, the forums did), but you still needed MemTest86 to verify it. Bottom line, MemTest86 didn't find anything on your WHS2011 box until the RAM failed, and it still wouldn't have. About the only thing you could have done would be to replace the RAM as a shot in the dark, but most people would not do that if MemTest86 is saying the RAM is OK.