RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Discussion on how to optimize Hyper V on MicroServer Gen8

tedaz

I have already installed Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise on MicroServer Gen8, and using Intel 240GB SSD as the system disk.

CPU: i3-3220T (maybe will upgrade to E3-1265L v2 later)

Memory: 8GBx2

SSD: Intel 240GB

HDD: Seagate 3TBx4 in AHCI mode, directly access by the host, no RAID.

A couple of Hyper V VMs will running on the Server, and the server will provide file-sharing service to other computers (so I do use the FULL server installation rather than the Server Core mode). Some VMs will also access share folders.

• Host (MS GEN8): Hyper V, MS SQL Server, My SQL, file sharing.
  • VM1: MS server 2008 R2 CA server;
  • VM2: MS server 2008 R2 IIS with SSL;
  • VM3: MS server 2008 R2 torrent and emule (downloading foler will on the host's sharing folders);
  • VM4: MS server 2008 R2 for remote desktop/application service;
  • VM5: Windows 7 x64, for download, which require to install some specific software for downloading. If any malicious software installed, this VM can replace by snapshot easily.

Is there any advice on how to optimize the Hyper V, such as the tweak settings in the Hyper V interface?

Or any suggestion on the architecture of the whole plan?

The CPU upgrade you mentioned would be a good place to start, especially if you're running all VMs simultaneously, and they all have some form of load.

I would want a quad-core CPU with VT-d support.  That 1265L v2 will get you the extra cores plus HyperThreading and VT-d virtualization.  This will also have a positive impact on doing anything with SQL.

• 3 months later...

I am actually VM running in your setup are more or less the same I had prior to installing 2012 R2 Standard and I still have some 2008 R2 Enterprise VM running. I choose to go with Hyper-V server rather than using a 2008 R2 Server as Hyper-V 2012 R2 is so much more powerful than Hyper-V 2008 and this is especially with dynamic memory :P

Suggestion:

- Upgrade server to 2012 R2 - if in license restriction run the free hyper-v server 2012 r2

- Push the SQL Server to a VM and make sure the SQL instance is set to release memory. This critical as SQL often don't release memory by default in older setups.

- Set the Min RAM to lower than the Initial ram on the Hyper-V, so if your VM is snoozing it let other VM run full on without actually truly starving the any VM :P - 512mb minimum still keeps windows responsive. I start with 1GB and they power down to 512mb if they don't do anything.

- Convert VHD to the new VHDX format.

Secondary:

- put timer/schedule on anything that does 'random' stuff like P2P so it never runs when you need the CPU.

- buy a cheap Xeon with more HT and the all the HW virtualization stuff I have the old 1260L and it works like a charm with 8 threads at a time. Its probably what you really want after an upgrade of Hyper-V.

Edited by adsboel

additional note:

- you can manage the IOPS at VHDX level, so that the virtuals you know does a lot of IO that your not giving priority, is reduced over eg. Database and 'workstation' work (eg. I would reduce throttle IOPS P2P activity)