RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Running Plex as a Windows service

dataoscar

Hello,

For a while I wanted to run Plex in the background as a Windows service. After trying multiple programs, I discovered that Plex tries to add an icon in the system tray, and would crash.

I made a tool that would launch Plex, and at runtime would take the calls to add the icon to the system tray and made it call my own instead, allowing Plex to run in the background.

I have not done much work on the app in a while, but decided to throw it up on GitHub

https://github.com/dataoscar/PlexAsService/

The installer has not been fully tested. Currently the service does expect Plex to be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\ , although I did write code to dynamically find the install directory.

Hopefully this is of use to someone. 

Thanks for the work put into this. My Plex starts fine, now I have to figure out the issue within my new network

that prevents it from running correctly.

Has anyone successfully installed PMS on WSE12R2 with Anywhere Access VPN configured? This was not possible with WSE12.

This is also the reason many run PMS in Hyper-V VMs. Myself included.

Has anyone successfully installed PMS on WSE12R2 with Anywhere Access VPN configured? This was not possible with WSE12.

This is also the reason many run PMS in Hyper-V VMs. Myself included.

Second. I have yet to get any external-requiring applications or services to play nicely with the Anywhere Access VPN service. Either one or the other just quits. Plex in a VM works fantastically well.