RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone using Windows Server Essentials Experience role in Server 2012?

Dave

Ya, pricey but more targeted for MSDN users.  

Any MSDN subscribers "testing" this method?  ;)

Yes, including the media pack. Although I don't actually use the media pack, as I use a Plex VM. However, I did install and try it for the remotewebaccess test, and it works the same as having WSE in a VM.

I have had some consistent challenges with PCs backing up to it since I went to the role-based rather than VM. Strangely, it is the PCs that are domained that seem to have the most issues. Not network-access problems, ala Tinkertry's discussions, just general backup failure and/or backup service failures. There are also some odd challenges in getting the VPN to work, and the automated web site access never says it is accessible - although it is.

This is also a Hyper-V machine, but I do have a NIC dedicated to 2012R2 for the Essentials role instead of sharing it with other VMs.

I haven't had the time to do enough research to state it is definitively something in the OS, or something in my server hardware/makeup however, so take with grain of salt.

So how do you have it all nested?  Sounds like you had Essentials in a VM once and now running in Role.  Odd that the role would give you fits.

I'll try to show what I'm thinking about doing.  Very simple although I do like the idea of Plex in a VM.  

2012 Server R2 Update --------Essentials Role ----------Hyper - V |

| --- (VM)--- Plex Server

| --- (VM) --- Windows 7 Media Center Server

So how do you have it all nested?  Sounds like you had Essentials in a VM once and now running in Role.  Odd that the role would give you fits.

I'll try to show what I'm thinking about doing.  Very simple although I do like the idea of Plex in a VM.  

2012 Server R2 Update --------Essentials Role ----------Hyper - V |

| --- (VM)--- Plex Server

| --- (VM) --- Windows 7 Media Center Server

Dave, that is essentially (sorry for that) how I'm running my server; only difference is the number and type of VMs.

I had 2012 Essentials as a VM in 2012. Once I moved to R2 I never installed 2012R2 (Essentials or otherwise) as a VM, just went straight to the Essentials as a role.

There is considerable discussion here and elsewhere on challenges getting the Anywhere Access VPN working with Essentials as a role on a server running Hyper-V, so i don't believe that is unique to my setup. I'm fairly certain the backup problems I'm experiencing are not universal (i.e. may be my setup related), so YMMV in that regard. What is frustrating is the backup is the principal reason I want the Essentials role as file serving I can do multiple other ways. Although the access to my files through remotewebaccess.com is working, and is a bonus to using Essentials (either as a role or VM of course.)

Aside: I eventually moved away from my media center server VM because of issues with Time Warner and their copy protection on virtually every show. I don't use my Xboxs as extenders, and you can't watch the copy protected shows on PCs other than the one that recorded the show, so there became little use for the DVR capability in my use case. They've pushed me to go the download of TV shows route, which coincidentally works extremely well with Plex. I get MKVs - full HD with surround - and the no commercials are an added bonus. And I almost always get my copy downloaded before I would have watched the show if I'd recorded it myself. No joke, the file is usally out on the 'net within an hour of showing on the east coast and as I'm in Mountain time I can sometimes get it before a show would be scheduled to air here locally.

Yup, if you have "RRAS" installed it causes an issue with HyperV.

It's a long standing issue (I experienced it with Server 2008R2 Standard, actually) and every OS since. 

Since installing ANYTHING alongside HyperV on the host is not supported, Microsoft hasn't bothered to do anything about it.

So if you want Anywhere Access and Hyper-V you MUST dedicate a NIC to HyperV. No "sharing with host" for any NIC. Otherwise, it will take 20+ minutes to shut down or restart a VM. Every time.

As for downloading ... yup. I agree whole heartedly there. And it's a shame. You've seen the Netflix and Hulu CF with that as well...

But sabNZBd+Sickbeard+CouchPotato with Plex/XBMC/WDTV is a fantastic solution.

And Timekills is right about the air/download time difference. I'm on the west coast, and pretty much EVERYTHING downloads before it airs here (unless you have satellite).

Also, some shows download the day before (Castle, usually). Also, shows like Doctor Who, Orphan Black and Continuum, you get the day they air.... not months latter on BBC America or SyFy.

Absolutely. :)

Such an awesome show. And the main actress has some serious talent. (and proof that the american award shows are a sham... she didn't even get nominated!)