RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 power saving

zgadgeter

Hi,

i've just upgraded to WHS 2011 from V1. Previously i was using lightsout on V1 for power saving. But I'm wondering whether simply setting the power save settings on WHS is enough so that the server shuts down when it's not in use, but comes back on when a client tries to access it?

Or do i need to go back to lightsout?

Anyone have any experience with this?

thanks

Hello, i'm using an HP EX490. Can i use the internal power settings to achieve a power save?

thanks.

How about the Lights Out Add-In?

That is the one i've been using for years, but would like to avoid as it requires an addin on all clients. I'm trying to find a way for the WHS itself to power down when it's not needed, and power on automatically when it's needed.

I see these as 2 very, very different requirements.

Getting a PC to shut down is something that it can be made to do on its own. Not every PC or OS has the ability to Sleep, but what I'm saying is that the feature isn't something that requires action from the outside -- the PC can do it by itself.

OTOH, how is a PC going to know it needs to wake up if there isn't some action from outside that lets it know its services are required to please wake up? Of course, the PC has to have the ability to react to a request for service, but still, an action from outside is required.

Okay, maybe I;m the odd one here.  It's a server.  Why do you want it to shut down, hibernate, sleep?  I want it now when  want it.

I feel the same, but apparently others don't. I guess what they really want is a full-time, always-ready server that uses zero power ;)

I see these as 2 very, very different requirements.

Getting a PC to shut down is something that it can be made to do on its own. Not every PC or OS has the ability to Sleep, but what I'm saying is that the feature isn't something that requires action from the outside -- the PC can do it by itself.

OTOH, how is a PC going to know it needs to wake up if there isn't some action from outside that lets it know its services are required to please wake up? Of course, the PC has to have the ability to react to a request for service, but still, an action from outside is required.

Hmm, i'm not sure i've made clear what i want to do. Bascially i want the same function that lightsout gave, but without lightsout installed on every client. That means, the server goes to sleep, but then wakes up whenever a client, any clients, asks for something from server.

Okay, maybe I;m the odd one here.  It's a server.  Why do you want it to shut down, hibernate, sleep?  I want it now when  want it.

Yes, I know. But, i live in Europe where the electricity costs are about 3 times that in the US :(. So there are reasons to let the server go to sleep at 3 in the morning where no one is using it.

I understand what you want to do. My point was, "How are you going to get the server to wake up?" There's no such thing as a universal wake-up facility; there has to be something on the server, and the client, to tell the server to wake up. The server end can be more or less taken care of by automatic Sleep modes. However, there is nothing built into clients that will cause them to wake up the server. That's why WoL exists.

Look at it this way: if there was something built into clients that would do this, then Lights-out wouldn't have needed to provide the feature itself.

• Like 1