RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Convert MBR to GPT

PetieG

OK, now i've gone and done it.  Gen8, W2012R2 Essentials, four 1TB drives, P222 array, 1 RAID5 disk array --> 1TB C: drive -- i used 3 of the disks w/ the 4th as a spare... and decided to integrate the 4th and remove it as a spare -- now i find i'm stuck w/ the 1TB C: drive and 2 Unallocated (partitions? volumes?) One that is 1116GB another that is 764GB... I cannot combine them, i have already formatted the 1TB as a D: drive, but can't do anything to the 746GB one... Obviously drive type is MBR and i need GPT -- can i convert this w/out a rebuild using AOMEI partition manager?  I believe i can, but will the Gen8 be able to boot off it?  Will it completely hose my installation already?  

I KNEW i shouldn't of integrated that 4the drive!!  Damnit!!  Space wasn't even that big an issue and now i have a messy config!  

Anybody ever convert MBR to GPT w/out data loss successfully ?  

Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!  -- PetieG

by default 2014-04-30 at 2.25.30 PM.jpg

You can't.  This is because the max you can do is 2TB unless you have UEFI BIOS enabled.  This is a hard limit in BIOS for a boot device.  You can have a non-bootable drive any size you want.  Just the partition can't be any bigger than 2TB on the boot drive.  It won't even allow you to create additional partitions for the unused space on the drive or array.   It sucks but that's one of the reasons why they want to get rid of BIOS in favor of UEFI.   I've ran into this a few times when building Windows 2008 R2 servers.   Since I was working Dell servers I was able to create a virtual disk in the RAID array to be under 2TB and allocate the rest for additional virtual drives.  

Edited by Darkk

This may not be of help, but I recall using gdisk in Linux to convert from MBR to GPT. You keep your partitions, but the boot loader is gone.

At that point you could boot from the Windows DVD and fix the OS.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

That's along the lines I was thinking -- no matter what you use to do the conversion, use the Windows Installer to fix the boot loader.