RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Running Server Applications - The Basics

OK, first and foremost, RAID is not a backup, of any kind. It provides some resiliency and, in certain situations, can provide performance enhancements.

To back up your OS drive, which I think is an excellent idea, why not use Windows Server Backup? It's already built into your server, defaults to backing up the OS drive twice per day, is very reliable, and is easy to Restore from. Hang a small (120 or 240 GB) in a toaster of an eSATA or USB port on your server and let WSB do its thing. If you employ 2 or more drives, you can rotate them through the toaster and keep one off site for that extra bit of security.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• AkAdam44

• Bmouthboyo

• Poppapete

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmmm, wasn't somebody suggesting to remove all non-OS drives?   Actually, I always set up new systems with only the OS drive installed; it just simplifies things all round.

I finally solved my problem without having to start from scratch!  That tutorial I had found brought me in the right direction, but it didn't completely work for Server 2012 R2.  It turns out the Wind

For some reason I was thinking that the built in Windows Server Backup was only for backing up you Server Shares and not the OS itself for recovery.  If it can image the OS drive, in case of a drive failure, and be able to recover it to a new drive then that's what I'll do!  I already have a 3TB drive plugged in externally, but I'm using it as a file download "landing zone" before the files get transferred to my internal Drive Pool...and I think when you set up Windows Server Backup it will require me to reformat the drive first, right?  So I probably don't want to touch that drive...maybe I'll just purchase another smaller external drive strictly for backing up the Server's OS drive, just to be safe.

For some reason I was thinking that the built in Windows Server Backup was only for backing up you Server Shares and not the OS itself for recovery.  If it can image the OS drive, in case of a drive failure, and be able to recover it to a new drive then that's what I'll do!  I already have a 3TB drive plugged in externally, but I'm using it as a file download "landing zone" before the files get transferred to my internal Drive Pool...and I think when you set up Windows Server Backup it will require me to reformat the drive first, right?  So I probably don't want to touch that drive...maybe I'll just purchase another smaller external drive strictly for backing up the Server's OS drive, just to be safe.

I use WSB to back up only the OS drive. IOW, I don't use it to back up data at all (I have another process for data backup). I'm running WHS2011, but I imagine the recovery procedure is much the same for WSE2012(r2). All I do is boot the system using the WHS2011 installation ISO and use the option to recover from a backup. Fifteen minutes later my system is running from the recovered OS.

I too use another process (ikon's robocopy scripts) however I've recently added client computer backups to my Windows Server Backup scheme. I had a few close calls after stopping my client backup service, copying the backups with robocopy and starting the service. If it doesn't run that smoothly, I've found I'll launch the Dashboard and see "unknown" or "not setup" under backup status. Just prefer to be able to roll back both the server and client backup states at same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I now have Windows Server Backup running on Server 2012 R2, but I have a small issue.  I have StableBit Drive Pool on my server configured on 2-2TB hard drives.  The two individual drives I have labeled as my W: and X: drives...and the Pooled drive is my E: drive.  When I set up my Server Backup I chose the option to be able to do a "Bare Metal Restore".  When I do this, Server Backup forces me to include my W: drive in the backup.  This isn't good because Drive Pool has about 1TB of data currently being mirrored onto that drive!  I just want the OS (C:) to be backed up and be able to be restored to a brand new drive in case of an OS drive failure, nothing else!  The only way I can get Server Backup to not backup this W: drive and only backup my C: drive is if I uncheck the option for Bare Metal Restore.  My question is, if I do this, will I still be able to recover my OS drive in the event of a hard drive failure??

I've run into this issue myself. I don't believe you can do a BMR with the BMR option unchecked, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

I was eventually able to get the configuration so that it only backs up the OS drive. I don't recall ATM exactly how I did it. If I do recall how, I'll post back.

Thanks, it's really annoying that I'm "wasting" a 3TB external drive on my server backup when I should only probably need a 250GB drive!  Hopefully I can get this worked out.

Poppapete

1. Where do you get a 125GB HDD these days (Is it an SSD?)

2. How many copies of the OS does it have before overwriting?