• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• AkAdam44

• Bmouthboyo

• Poppapete

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmmm, wasn't somebody suggesting to remove all non-OS drives?   Actually, I always set up new systems with only the OS drive installed; it just simplifies things all round.

I finally solved my problem without having to start from scratch!  That tutorial I had found brought me in the right direction, but it didn't completely work for Server 2012 R2.  It turns out the Wind

VMs would need a user account logged in to run then wouldn't they?

I looked into hyper v but seems it wasn't included in my install for some reason.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Uh, I believe you will find Hyper-V is included, but you do have to enable that Role using the Server Manager.

Poppapete

Hyper-V is included but you must install it as a role/feature. Bring up the server manager from administrative tools, and then in the server manager  dashboard - Configure this local server, item 2 is add roles and features. Hyper-V is under the roles and features here.

Bmouthboyo

OK, I think for my N54L I might need another NIC card dedicated to the VM's. Worth exploring though.

Can VM's run as services with no user logged in? Or do they require an account logged in?

Drashna Jaelre

Blue Iris and sabNZBd can run as a service natively. The rest, you *can* use Task Scheduler to run without having to log in. That's what I do for utorrent, sickbeard, couchpotato, and the like. Works wel.

As for VMs, if you're using HyperV, then yes absolutely. Standard practice actually.

• 5 months later...

@Bmouthboyo  I am in the same exact situation as you were.  I just set up an HP N54L Micro Server with Server 2012 R2 with Essentials Role enabled.  I am trying to just set this up for home use and I'm looking to install applications now.  I have Plex Media Server running as a service right now, but I would also like to use my server as my main torrent box as well.  How did you end up installing all your apps?  Did you use the Task Scheduler method or run a new VM in Hyper V?

I'm new to using Server as an OS so any suggestions from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated!

Drashna Jaelre

Well, I used Task Scheduler to run utorrent, actually. Most everything gets run on my host... And via scheduled tasks

I got uTorrent up and running using using the scheduled task method and it seems to be working pretty well. I tested it by restarting my server and then trying to access uTorrent using the Torrent Remote App on my phone before logging into any users on the server. I was able to get into uTorrent and add a new file remotely without having to start up uTorrent manually first!

Now I have figure out this SickBeard thing. I'm not sure if I should go the source route or not.

Looks like a great tutorial.  I'll give it a shot!  I got a Windows 7 VM running on the server, but this looks simple enough to get running directly in Server 2012 Essentials R2.

A little off topic...what application is everyone using to image their OS (C:) drive in Server 2012 R2?  Or do most people just use a mirrored RAID as a backup?  I'd hate to have all this configuration complete and then have my OS drive fail!