RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Running Server Applications - The Basics

Bmouthboyo

So I am making headway into setting my Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 installation on my new N54L. I have shared folders that my workgroup computers can access and I have Plex media server installed as a service (although trying to fidn out why it lags when no user logged in but not when user is logged into server).

So I am now starting to look into installing the programs I have heard so much about such as sickbeard, couch potato, minecraft server, blu Iris.

My new issue though is how best to add applications to the server? I always imagined a server kinda booted into a default user profile like a standard PC with only one account would, however after installing Plex as a service it is becoming more apparent that people have the server performing roles without a user logged in (not sure of technical term for this?).

So I am a bit stumped as to how to install utorrent for instance, as if I install it in my main admin account it only loads when I log in with it, so say in the event of a power failure the server would reboot but not into that profile. Do I need to run everything as a service if I want it to run without a user logged in? Do I have to get it to automatically log a user in to initiate the applications?

Could you guys tell me how you installed the programs I mentioned?

Create a Service Account and only give that account the necessary permissions needed to run a  program.  For instance, create an Account named "SVCTorrent" (Service acct for Torrent).  Give that account full rights on the program but do not make it a Server Admin account unless needed.  If the installed program runs as a service, this is where the change would need to be made.

Depends on the program, most will ask if it needs to be installed as a service.  Check the Services Applet

A lot of programs weren't designed to be run as a service. Quite a few of them can be run as a service anyway, but some are problematic. This applies particularly to ones that expect to have interaction with the Desktop.

So what would be the best bet for them? Auto login as a user on startup? Is this easy to achieve without user interaction encase of a restart cause of power failure?

Any drawbacks to always having a user account logged in?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Personally, I run these types of programs on non-server boxes, ones I don't mind leaving logged in. If you feel you absolutely have to run them on a server, then I suppose an auto-login with an account that only has the absolute minimum privileges needed for the program(s) you need to run is the best way to go.

You could always do VMs. Most of these programs do not need much power. I used to install all these things on my WHS box until it dawned on me that I was messing with the thing that kept my backups.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You could always do VMs. Most of these programs do not need much power. I used to install all these things on my WHS box until it dawned on me that I was messing with the thing that kept my backups.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yep... an excellent point.

VMs would need a user account logged in to run then wouldn't they?

I looked into hyper v but seems it wasn't included in my install for some reason.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk