RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Free Sophos (Enterprise Grade Firewall) software

Renny

Many of you might be aware of Sophos in an enterprise type situation. Turns out you can get the software for free for home use (up to 50 IP Addresses) which should cover things like IP cameras and even your fridge.

Perhaps would make a great VM install on top of PF Sense if you are using that or just an old PC that is idle.

Check it out at http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/get-free-home-use-version-enterprise-firewall-appliance.htm

You've been away too long Renny; you're going to have to catch up ;)

BTW, Drashna is becoming quite the expert on Sophos (formerly Astaro).

• Like 1

Apologies for stating the bleeding obvious guys.

Yes Ikon. I have been away but am working through recent threads in an effort to catch up.

• 3 months later...

Drashna, have you - by chance - setup a Guest wireless access point on your home network with Sophos UTM?  I did this under pfsense quite some time ago and it was a bit of a hassle.

I currently have an ASUS RT-N66U router on my network setup as an Access Point only for my home/private network.  Though it supports multiple GUEST networks within its admin GUI, it appears that only works when the ASUS is being used as the primary router and not a dedicated access point.

I wish for my Sophos UTM top remain my network router/firewall.  Am debating picking up a Sophos AP30 access point to increase my home network coverage and adding an isolated Guest network, but ~$250 seems a bit much when I have an old Linksys WRT54G router collecting dust.

Admittedly I'm curious to get my hands on one of these AP30s to see how their integrated wireless/hotspot management works with their own hardware.

If all you require is an isolated Guest Network why not set the RT-N66U as a separate network rather than an access point on your primary LAN. I have my old N66U setup as a separate wireless LAN with MAC filtering on. I then allow access to all our mobile phones and the grandchildren's iPads & Laptops so they all get internet access but can't access the main LAN which I run using Untangle as the router/UTM. The obvious downside is that the "Guest Network" is not protected by the UTM abilities of the UT.

I need a main wireless AP which I'm currently using my RT-N66U as since it's 802.11n. Also want a separate AP strictly for use as a Guest wireless AP. I can't find a Sophos UTM guide on how to configure a new interface to operate in this manner.

If all you require is an isolated Guest Network why not set the RT-N66U as a separate network rather than an access point on your primary LAN. I have my old N66U setup as a separate wireless LAN with MAC filtering on. I then allow access to all our mobile phones and the grandchildren's iPads & Laptops so they all get internet access but can't access the main LAN which I run using Untangle as the router/UTM. The obvious downside is that the "Guest Network" is not protected by the UTM abilities of the UT.

I think it might help if you elaborated a bit on how you set up the RT-N66U on a separate network. For example, what is the RT-N66U plugged into: the Untangle box, your cable/DSL modem, other?