RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

remotewebaccess.com URL with Port Numbers?

Bmouthboyo

I have setup and successfully use the microsoft assigned remotewebaccess.com URL to remote desktop into my home server. As far as I can tell this is kept upto date with my routers public IP. Does this mean I would not have to update DynamicDNS or DynDNS with a service?

Can I use mt server.remotewebaccess.com address with port numbers to connect to say IP cameras on my network. or specific minecraft server etc? i.e.remotewebaccess.com:4345

Or does this URL only work for remote desktop and the anywhere access web access?

As long as you're using the MS assigned URL, I would think it should work. The server should simply be updating the remotewebaccess.com site with WAN IP changes. What you do with the returned IP address should be up to you.

It work, I do this all the time now because dyndns will start charging beginning next week and I will NOT take them up on their "special".

Yes, you definitely can. The remotewebaccess.com domain is a dynamically updated DNS name. Same as the any number of services.

I actually used to have a bunch of additionally opened ports on my server and accessible that way. Just allow the service through the firewall, and set up port forwarding on your router, and you should be good to go.

Confirmed here as well (not that you neeed another one); I use the remotewebaccess:XXXX to get to various web interfaces for applications inside my home LAN from the Interwebs.

Basically, the Essentials server needs and wants the default ports for RWA.  YOu can use alternate ports for the server, say 4433 instead of 443, change the IIS binding, create a new firewall rule and off you go.