RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WallServer - Seems like you started something Jim

tbowland

Yes your off the wall comment in show 93 started something Jim.

Just have to add the Power/Reset button and this WHS (Vail) test machine is done.

You can't get any easier way to swap HW parts then to just get rid of the case all together :)

There is even still room for some messages on this x-magnetic message board.

JVK ..., anxiously awaiting you project completion. Wow what a tight fit. I assume you're going to use a few 2.5 HDDs

tbowland

IMG_0092%20(800x449).jpg?psid=1

IMG_0091%20(800x449).jpg?psid=1

DSC00868%20(450x800).jpg?psid=1

DSC00873%20(554x800).jpg?psid=1

DSC00874%20(450x800).jpg?psid=1

DSC00875.JPG?psid=1

DSC00865%20(800x450).jpg?psid=1

DSC00866%20(571x800).jpg?psid=1

Interesting idea but I am not sure about the advantage to doing this (other than it is different).

I wonder about airflow around the processor and hard drives. Most of these devices are relying on some airflow past them to move the heat away.

"Off the Wall"

I love it. Good job too. Looks very clean. Submit that to Engadget, maybe they would think it's cool.

Interesting idea but I am not sure about the advantage to doing this (other than it is different).

I wonder about airflow around the processor and hard drives. Most of these devices are relying on some airflow past them to move the heat away.

I think the airflow is just to push heat away. Have it in an open environment and that heat will naturally rise and fans shouldn't be needed. HOwever, the processor may be different.

I think the airflow is just to push heat away. Have it in an open environment and that heat will naturally rise and fans shouldn't be needed. HOwever, the processor may be different.

Quoted for truth!

I think this is a really neat idea, but I have to ask for purely visual reasons why did you not route the power supply wires under the base like you did the SATA wires?

I can kinda understand not doing the Main MotherBoard connector but the 4 pin molex ones would be easy to do with a small hole, just take the connectors/pins apart route and re assemble.

Very cool project!!! Jim may have in advertently created the next popular computer case layout! Having the case on the wall makes swapping parts a snap, now who is going to be the first to build the wall server sneeze and drink spill guard? By the way, I informed my girlfriend that the Mona Server project was going to be mounted proudly above the fire place mantle... that didn't go over that well. Mental note - Wife Acceptance Factor still very low on this project.

jvk

Edited by jvk

Oh yes the WAF (is that it Wife Acceptance Factor) is and will probably always be 0-2% on this.

Putting it in the closet obviously isn't an option because it wouldn't be long before a scarf is wrapped up in the fan.

Of course a big part of the reason for doing something like this build is to have it out on display....yes just because it is different CSKenny.

Actually it is functional in the cooling category. I have four old WD 250gb that actually run hotter than most in any situation and they run cool on the WallServer.

I really through this together in an hour so I didn't arrange things in a way that the power cables would fit under the mounting board, it is very short as you can see ZeroHunter. I have a bunch of ATX pwr cable extenders so I may switch it.

tbowland

• 3 weeks later...

My wife "tolerates" my projects as it is now, providing everything is working. This, would not fly is my house. Not even going to think about even I would classify it as new age art. Functional and pretty.