RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Non Domain computers seeing Server Shared Folders

Bmouthboyo

OK I have been trying to find a definitive answer for hours and going around in circles now.

I have a New N54L microsever with Server 2012 Essentials R2 freshly installed. At home I run a MacBook Air, and iMac, a small win7 HTPC, an XP NetBook, and a HDTV I link to plex.

I do not want to use a domain given it is only me and my wife on the network.

I have created accounts on the server for us both, and created folders with permissions for us both. I cannot nowhere see the folders on my mac under network. So cannot even attempt to access it with the account details I setup.

From what I could gather reading about it might be to do with my computers being in a workgroup and server on domain? But no idea how to fix it. I just want access to these shared folders :(

You're not going to see them from a MAC, how about the Windows machine?  The Windows machine should at a minimum see the Server in Explorer but not the shares since you are logged in with non-Domain Accounts and will have to provide your Domain credential in order to access the appropriate shares.

You can map the drives but they will not connect until you provide credentials.

I forget what the equivalent of Explorer is in MacLand but seems like I remember the naming convention is backward from a Windows machine, something like:  //nameofserver/nameofshare

On Mac you have to connect to server using Ctrl shift K or so in finder, then do smb mount. Samba is the key word here.

Edited by revengineer

Thanks guys, lot of great help here.

At present I have not tried a windows machine to see if the Server or shared folders are visible in Explorer.

Just to confirm, with the server on it's own domain, and all other computers on a workgroup, I should still be able to see the server? I thought I had to name the domain the same as the workgroup or something?

You should be able to see the server. Be aware, you may have to open Windows Explorer, set the left pane to be the Tree View, and expand Network so it shows multiple workgroups/Domains. However, seeing the server is not the same as accessing it. You can't access shared folders without proper credentials.

• 4 weeks later...

I know I'm late to the party, but I couldn't tell if you ever got your answer...

I have a MacBook Pro that I use for work that I have no problems using to access shares on my Windows Server 2012 Essentials box.  You will need to use SMB to connect, and you will need to use the username and password that you setup for yourself on Windows Server 2012 Essentials (i.e. DOMAIN\Username).  It may seem like a pain in the butt, but its really for your protection.  Check out Apple's help article to find step-by-step instructions.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5884