RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
BigPike

Memory for t20

ikon

Probably pcdoc. I'm personally not comfortable with any drive going over 40C for any extended length of time.

Taffeys

Taffeys:

Have you switched to a Xeon version of the T20 or just upgraded to the 1225v3 by yourself?

Having tested with just one of the Kingston LV 8GB does not mean you've tested the 32GB max of their memory. Don't get me wrong, I'm very confident that 4x8GB of these work great, but don't make any assumptions while testing only one 8GB.

37c is what I got (max) for the WD Reds (3TB) and given your ambient temp it's nothing to worry about, really. Don't try to compare the temperatures that you get in the T20 with those in the N54L. The HP cools way better than any Dell based on this chassis, but WD Red fits perfectly (temp-wise) into the T20.

36-37 is nothing to worry about for WD Red. I tested WD Red with WD Re along and got to 55c+ in less than 4 minutes while the Reds were at 34c (same load).

I upgraded from the Pentium G3220 to the E3-1225 V3 myself.

Yes, I understand about the 1x8GB testing OK vs the 4x8GB potential issue, I just posted an update because I said I would for the 1x8GB.

I don't intend to use the WD 2TB Reds in any of my NAS boxes long-term, I just had them at-hand when got the T20. I have 6 more Seagate NAS 4TBs I can use if decide to keep my N54L fully populated.

Edited by Taffeys

Taffeys

I think any drive solutions in the T20 will require additional cooling.

Same here. I've been looking at it and thinking about what and how. Not much room in front of those drive bays, might be able to put something between the chassis front and the front cover. That one exhaust fan does not impress me, at least as I've seen so far. Even at max CPU utilization and load with temps rising the fan did not seem to go to max rpm or move a lot of air. 

Taffeys

Update:

Yesterday I replaced the Pentium G3220 processor with a Xeon E3-1225 V3. I noticed the memory was now running at 1600Mhz instead of 1333Mhz.

Today I received the first Kingston KTD-PE316ELV/8G 8GB 1.35v Unbuffered ECC memory module (I should be receiving the remaining three early next week). After I installed the module (replacing the 4GB stock module) and booting the T20 the bios alerted me to the memory change and gave me the option to run the Dell ePSA Pre-Boot System Assessment. I let both the normal and extended tests proceed and they eventually all completed with no issues or errors. I have been running memtest86+ for the past 6 hours with no errors.

So far so good.

Update #2:

Today I received the three remaining Kingston KTD-PE316ELV/8G 8GB 1.35v Unbuffered ECC memory modules. After I installed all the modules and booted the T20 the bios again alerted me to the memory change and gave me the option to run the Dell ePSA Pre-Boot System Assessment. I let both the normal and extended tests proceed and they eventually all again completed with no issues or errors. I will stress the memory and CPU overnight and see what results.

ikon

Good luck with it. Hopefully, no issues arise overnight.

Taffeys

Success! After 12+ hours of intensive memory testing (8+ passes) with full 32GB installed the result is no errors and max CPU core temps of 66C. Also ran a prime test for several hours without any issues. CPU now idling at 32C to 36C and driives at 34C and 36C (ambient is 24C).

Next will install an LSI SAS 9211-8i or IBM M1115 (LSI SAS 9223) with LSI SAS 9211-8i firmware and Seagate NAS 4TB HDDs. And eSATA using a RR642L with FIS–based switching works great.

ikon

Nice work Taffeys, and I like your step-wise approach. Don't change too much at each step is a good philosophy.

Taffeys

Nice work Taffeys, and I like your step-wise approach. Don't change too much at each step is a good philosophy.

Thanks ikon. I do learn from my mistakes... eventually  :rolleyes:

PS.. the RR642L works great after you flash it to the "QuickBIOS"; stops the BIOS from scanning the bus looking for drives so booting does not take forever-and-a-day.

ikon

Thanks ikon. I do learn from my mistakes... eventually  :rolleyes:

Don't we all.... well, hopefully ;)