RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
BigPike

Memory for t20

ikon

Good to hear your issues are getting resolved.

Taffeys

Good to hear your issues are getting resoslved.

Thanks ikon! Never had any real issues, just major concerns based upon BigPike's problems with the Kingston DDR3L modules he tried.

I let memtest run for 20+ hours on this one module without any issues so I'm good so far.

Next I need to get AMT running, then add an HBA and drives. Not too happy with the temps of the two WD 2TB Reds I have in the T20 now (high 30s to low 40s)) so I'll swap in some Seagate 4TB NAS HDDs to see how they fair.  

ikon

You have Red drives running that warm? I've never seen that before. Normally, when I check a Red drive by hand it feels barely warmer than room temperature, certainly not 40C.

Taffeys

You have Red drives running that warm? I've never seen that before. Normally, when I check a Red drive by hand it feels barely warmer than room temperature, certainly not 40C.

Yes. Hence my concern. Right now they are idling at 37C and 38C. During a scrub I did to stress the box yesterday before I started the memtest run I saw 40-42C at ambient of 33C. But we are in a record-breaking heat wave here and ambient is now 28C, normally would be ~18C to 24C. My Seagate NAS in my N54L and Sans Digital box are all idling at 33C to 35C now. I will play with the power management settings of the Reds and see if that helps.. 

ikon

Ah. Ambient of 33. OK, that makes a lot more sense. I'm not nearly so concerned now. If you brought the ambient down to 20C I bet they would run below 30C.

San Diego huh. Yeah, you guys are getting burned out right now.

Taffeys

Ah. Ambient of 33. OK, that makes a lot more sense. I'm not nearly so concerned now. If you brought the ambient down to 20C I bet they would run below 30C.

San Diego huh. Yeah, you guys are getting burned out right now.

We live close to the ocean so it's not usually this warm here. Hence we don't have air conditioning and have many ceiling fans instead; we can only reduce ambient by ~ 5C to 8C. Friends and family further inland are seeing 38C to 40C temps. But it's finally cooling down today and max temps will be down to around 20C next week.

Unfortunately we are. There are at least 7 active fires here in San Diego County now and many mandatory evacuation orders are in affect. Thankfully we and our family live in areas that are OK, at least for now.

mdss

Taffeys:

Have you switched to a Xeon version of the T20 or just upgraded to the 1225v3 by yourself?

Having tested with just one of the Kingston LV 8GB does not mean you've tested the 32GB max of their memory. Don't get me wrong, I'm very confident that 4x8GB of these work great, but don't make any assumptions while testing only one 8GB.

37c is what I got (max) for the WD Reds (3TB) and given your ambient temp it's nothing to worry about, really. Don't try to compare the temperatures that you get in the T20 with those in the N54L. The HP cools way better than any Dell based on this chassis, but WD Red fits perfectly (temp-wise) into the T20.

36-37 is nothing to worry about for WD Red. I tested WD Red with WD Re along and got to 55c+ in less than 4 minutes while the Reds were at 34c (same load).

ikon

That temperature difference between REs and Reds seems just about right to me. Mind you, I still keep my REs below 40C by providing adequate ventilation.

mdss

Well, can't really compare a 5-platter Re 7.2k with a 3-platter Red 5.4k.

The MicroServer has "good enough" cooling for the bottom 4 bays and WD Re don't get over 44-45c.

This specific Dell chassis (which is nothing new, actually a few years old) does not provide proper HDD cooling options, and you can't use high performance spinning drives in there reliably long term. That's why I said that 37-38c for Reds in a T20 is nothing to worry about. I get 34-36c 24x7 with WD Reds in Dell sistems that are just like the T20 (if not the same) chassis, with lower ambient temps than San Diego.

schoondoggy

I think any drive solutions in the T20 will require additional cooling.