RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
BigPike

Memory for t20

mdss

Sorry. Don't know why I had the impression you're in the UK. I then saw that Taffeys is in San Diego, so maybe USD 140-150 is too much. But in Europe they're more expensive. I'm looking for deals on Kingston memory as I need to buy 16x 8GB LV ECC, and I would order at $94 (even $100).

ikon

$94US seems about equal to $108CDN.

schoondoggy

I will test four of these over night:

Kingston KVR13E9/4HC

Taffeys

So far I have only found two companies that offer and support 1x8GB 1.35v Unbuffered ECC memory modules for the T20, Dell and Kingston.

1) Dell PN 96MCT (AKA 319-1046, SNP96MCTC/8G, and A6960121). Note that Dell Euro lists this module as compatible with the T20 but Dell US does not.

2) Kingston KTD-PE316ELV/8G. Kingston and many vendors are currently on back-order for this module.

Crucial just confirmed they have no 1x8GB 1.35v Unbuffered ECC memory modules approved for the T20.

schoondoggy

So far I have only found two companies that offer and support 1x8GB 1.35v Unbuffered ECC memory modules for the T20, Dell and Kingston.

1) Dell PN 96MCT (AKA 319-1046, SNP96MCTC/8G, and A6960121). Note that Dell Euro lists this module as compatible with the T20 but Dell US does not.

2) Kingston KTD-PE316ELV/8G. Kingston and many vendors are currently on back-order for this module.

Crucial just confirmed they have no 1x8GB 1.35v Unbuffered ECC memory modules approved for the T20.

Is there an issue running 1.5v modules?

schoondoggy

The Kingston KVR13E9/4HC tested out fine overnight on ESXi.

• Like 1

Taffeys

Is there an issue running 1.5v modules?

Not that I am aware of. That's all Crucial recommends for the T20. However, Crucial claims that 1.35V modules give a 10% reduction in total energy use over 1.5V modules http://www.insight.com/content/dam/insight/en_US/pdfs/micron/crucial-ddr3-energy-efficient-server-memory.pdf . That is significant for a 24/7 server.

Edited by Taffeys

ikon

I'm not so sure it's all that significant. I would doubt that they meant 10% of the total power the PC uses; more likely 10% of the power the memory uses. Compared to the whole chassis, the power used by the RAM has got to be a pretty small %.