RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
BigPike

Memory for t20

Taffeys

Yes. Thats the Kingston memory my T20 didt like at all.

Not good. I have 4 sticks of Kingston KTD-PE316ELV/8G on-order  :(

I have 16GB of Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G in my N54L that hasn't skipped a beat; that (and cost) is why I went with Kingston memory for the T20. I have messaged Kingston tech support to confirm that the KTD-PE316ELV/8G has actually been validated in the T20 so we'll see. 

Taffeys

They're Hynix modules just like the 4GB that comes with the server, just 64Gbit (+ECC) 2Rx8.

Is this the 8GB modules? Are they 1.35V too?

mdss

Well I guess you can't trust retail websites stock photos. Is that Samsung?

Yes they're 1.35V Taffeys. And they have ECC. Did Kingston respond yet? I'm looking for their ELV/8G, but still no luck, no one has them in stock.

BigPike would you share a link to the website you bought the Dell memory from?

BigPike

Maybe the Kingstons memorys I got was bad. Only thing I know is that those memorys made my system freeze.

Have been running my Dell mem för over 12 hours now and no issues at all.

Taffeys

Well I guess you can't trust retail websites stock photos. Is that Samsung?

Yes they're 1.35V Taffeys. And they have ECC. Did Kingston respond yet? I'm looking for their ELV/8G, but still no luck, no one has them in stock.

BigPike would you share a link to the website you bought the Dell memory from?

Kingston tech support has a reading comprehension problem and did not answer my direct question "Has the KTD-PE316ELV/8G UPC 740617227321 been validated to perform in the Dell T20 at 32GB?" Kingston shows they have it in-stock but not many retailers do.

I found that Dell memory on the Dell site, $150US per 8GB stick. If that's the only LV ECC memory that works in the T20 I'm selling my T20 ASAP!

ikon

$150 for 8GB? That does seem a bit extreme. That, obviously, must be server-rated RAM, which does tend to be priced at a premium.

Taffeys

$150 for 8GB? That does seem a bit extreme. That, obviously, must be server-rated RAM, which does tend to be priced at a premium.

Actually, it's listed at $140 on the Dell US site. What's puzzling is that the US Dell site does not identify this memory as ECC nor for the T20, just as "System specific" for "PowerEdge C5220, R210 II; Precision Fixed Workstation T1700".

mdss

ikon, I think you're in the UK, and I wonder what's the best deal you can get on the 8GB Kingston LV ECC. I bet not lower than $125.

$25 (or $15 by Taffeys' latest post) OEM premium is not that much compared to what they're used to charge for high end parts.

The ECC UDIMMs are more expensive because they're not that popular, not because of the OEM's cuts.

ikon

I'm in Canada. I realize ECC is a little higher priced, but not to that extent. I can get a 1x8GB Kingston LV ECC Server module for $108CDN.

Taffeys

I'm in Canada. I realize ECC is a little higher priced, but not to that extent. I can get a 1x8GB Kingston LV ECC Server module for $108CDN.

I paid $94US for 1x8GB Kingston LV ECC "Dell" memory. Kingston has this memory for sale for $110US (retail is $155US) but has no stock now.

Will soon find out if Kingston's info is valid or not and will report if it is functional in my T20 in about a week. No ETA on the 24GB on back-order yet.

Edited by Taffeys