RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

The Value of Backups

jmwills

jmwills

If you have remotely paid attention to the news today, you know of bad weather all across the South. I do very little cloud backup except for my financial data of which I keep a copy on SkyDrive.

The rest of my backups are local with one copy at the bank, one at work, and a third on my Synology box. As we prepared for the storms this evening all I had to do was run one script that ran the backups from WHS to Synology, unplugged the Synology box and took it to the shelter.

That was it, in three minutes I was done. I can recover from a catastrophic event if it happens, how about you?

Planning is important people. (If we make it through midnight okay we should be safe).

Of course, the wife did say why are putting two laptops, 4 portable drives, 2 tablets, and various chargers in the shelter. Go figure.

We hope you had a quiet night. Each year at same time am reminded how much I don't miss tornado season.

I am fortunate in that I've never lived in a tornado-prone area. I've felt a few earthquakes in my life, but not many, and none of them were strong. I wish you good luck and safety my friend. Take care.

We were fortunate to be missed this week but never take it for granted. Had to drive from AR to MO within tornado watch period. Very eerie the entire time.

Closest I came to that kind of situation is one time driving from eastern Ontario to Toronto. The rain was coming down so thick it was impossible to see anything out the windshield. Everyone pulled over to the shoulder. I could not see the brake lights on the car in front of me. If that's the kind of weather you guys in the south face every year, I do not envy you.