RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

mediabrowser episode

roberthleeii

I am listening to the episode about plex and thought that media browser deserves its own episode too. I have been using it around my house fore over 2 months and I think it may address some of the concerns mentioned on the podcast, like live tv and recordings, playback place saving, profiles, etc. It my not be as mature as plex but it is close and improving at an amazing pace and at least for me has been very useful and family/wife friendly and with the profiles the kids don't have access to the violent R movies we watch and I don't have to look through their kids movies. Just my 2 cents

Yes it does. Media Browser's TV support is plugin based. You can choose the TV provider you prefer. Currently there are NextPVR and ServerWMC plugins. The various clients, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Windows Store App, Media Browser Theater are all commited to adding support for Live TV. 

While we are at it ( or perhaps its own show)   XBMC has some DVR capabilities

as we unfortunately go to the "post Media Center" World   we need some options

Would be helpful to start examining which options we need to watch

While we are at it ( or perhaps its own show)   XBMC has some DVR capabilities

as we unfortunately go to the "post Media Center" World   we need some options

Would be helpful to start examining which options we need to watch

XBMC has great DVR capability. The problem is it can't do CableCard.

XBMC has great DVR capability. The problem is it can't do CableCard.

Which is fine for most of the world, since the USA is the only country that has CableCard AFAIK.

Also,   looking to the future,  I don't think even in the US cable card is something you can plan on having around after a few years. 

I switched from cable to direct TV a couple of years ago and will be switching again to FIBER IPTV hopefully in the Fall.  Would definitely get off the air if I could -  about 20 miles too far to get the Indianapolis stations.

• 2 weeks later...

I use mediabrowser as well and have been trying to keep up with the rapid pace of the MB3 updates.  I'd definitely like to see an episode and hear from some people that have done live TV with MB3 using a plugin.

I've worked hard to have a high WAF, and she can trust the downstairs HTPC to be reliable and function properly when it comes to TV tuner and network media storage.  As such I try to keep my hands off the HTPCs as much as possible - it works, don't F with it.

ServerWMC needs to be installed on the client, so I'm a bit wary.  I'll need a test PC to install it on.  Both of my current test PCs are small form factor, and I don't have any small form factor TV tuners to put in them at the moment.

My other thought was to setup a VM of win7 on my server, install a full height TV tuner, and use that as the tuner for ServerWMC.  It would only get OTA broadcasts, but thats fine for now.