RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hostname, Domain Name & Workgroup

TomatoBoy

Hello all. Please may I seek a little guidance?

We have been running a WHS 2011 box on our LAN workgroup. Our router hostname and the workgroup are both named tomato. The router deals with DHCP and DNS needs. Everything runs fine and both the server and clients can see each other and any shared files in the Network area of Windows Explorer.

We want to add a Windows Server 2012 box. It is Standard installed over Essentials, thus providing the best of both worlds. It has DHCP switched off but does run a DNS service, though it has no domain clients and takes its own DNS from the router. It is currently a domain controller, theVine.local but we  have no plans to add domain clients and will continue backing up using Essentials connector.

Now, the problem we need help to resolve please. We were advised not to name the server domain the same as the hostname on the router. As a result, although the server can see the client files in the Network area of Windows Explorer, the clients cannot see the server. To rectify this, we would need to change the server domain name to tomato.local and although I know there is no issue in doing so as far as the clients are concerned, I wonder if there are implications for the router in respect of its hostname?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by TomatoBoy

It seems to me that if you hard code the DNS on the clients to point to point to the server and Flush the DNS cache, you should be okay.

Control Panel>Network & Sahring>Change Adapter Settings>Right Click the Active Adapter and go to Properties, Highlight IPv4, Hit the Properties Button and then you will see were to apply the DNS setting.

From a Command Prompt type ipconfig / flushdns

Sorry, I was being really dense and probably still am, the point to point comment confused me. My apologies, I follow now. So, I point the client DNS to the fixed IP of the server, which in turn points to the router? Please may I ask, is there any implication in having the router host name and the server domain name the same, or will that not work?

Although all machines on the network have a fixed IP, I prefer to direct everything to the router rather than fix on clients as they may feature in more than one network in the case of laptops.

Thank you again for the help.

So your server is also your "router"?

Can you confirm your network configuration?  I see "tomato" and I immediately think DD-WRT which cannot be loaded on a server, only a SOHO router.

Sorry, the 'tomato' is a red herring. No DD-WRT at all.

Router: Billion BIPAC 7800N handling all DHCP and DNS

Server1: WHS 2011 on IP fixed in router, 'tomato' workgroup

Server2: WSE 2012 on IP fixed in router, domain controller of theVine.local though domain not used and no clients joined

Various PCs: Mixture of Win7 and Win8 on on IPs fixed in router, all on 'tomato' workgroup, all have Server1 'connector' installed

All PCs and Server1 can see each other in Windows Explorer, Server2 can see all but it cannot be seen by any other machine unless that machine has its workgroup changed to theVine. We would change all to theVine but changing the WHS 2011 workgroup is a well known issue which breaks it. That is why we thought about renaming theVine.local domain on Server2 to tomato.local, but we are concerned that doing so may cause a router issue as it uses the hostname 'tomato', and also appears in any 'tomato' workgroup listing.

Thank you again, much appreciated.

Why is it necessary to see Server2 in Explorer? However, you should be able to see it. If you need access to the shares just msp network drives.

There shouldn't be a problem having Server2's dns name the same as your router's - but you will have a problem actually changing it now that it has been configured with the existing name. I suspect you will need to flatten it and rebuild.

John

Why is it necessary to see Server2 in Explorer? However, you should be able to see it. If you need access to the shares just msp network drives.

Thanks again. To save mapping every computer added to the network. If they just see each other and it can be done, it removes another layer.

There shouldn't be a problem having Server2's dns name the same as your router's - but you will have a problem actually changing it now that it has been configured with the existing name. I suspect you will need to flatten it and rebuild.

John

Thanks John, that is what we had hoped. Just to confirm, the router handles the DNS and the server has DNS service on too, that should be okay with the host name and local domain name being the same?

Yes, we will flatten it. It is a new install so no problem. We may mess with an image first just to be sure.

Much appreciated both of you.

Edited by TomatoBoy