RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

OSX Time Machine backups to Network Folder

Bmouthboyo

OK that is a shame, is there a solution to backup specific files to the server shared folders, from which I could crashplan backup them to the cloud? I would then run time machine locally via USB Storage.

I guess that as I will not being using the server as a Domain AD it would have to be 3rd party software?

That's more or less than I do. I use Crashplan locally on the Mac to backup specific folders to a server share along with TM to a local USB drive. I don't use Crashplan for cloud backup as I have some oddball backup solution provided by my ISP which although not brilliant (and that's being really generous) does have the advantage of being free - or at least bundled in with my broadband package.

I do vaguely remember reading somewhere though that if you use Crashplan locally to backup a folder to a server share, you can't then use Crashplan again to backup this up to the cloud. Something to do with not being able to track the delta changes. But as I say I've never tried it.

John 

jmwills

Can the server see the folders on the MAC?  If so, map drives from the server to the MAC and "pull" the files rather than "pushing" them from the client.

Now that's an idea. Could conceivably set up folder sharing on the Mac and maybe some kind of Robocopy-type script on the server to pull changed files across. Might be some practical issues if the Mac sleeps, isn't on etc and the share is not available to the server, but possibly nothing insurmountable.

John

I do vaguely remember reading somewhere though that if you use Crashplan locally to backup a folder to a server share, you can't then use Crashplan again to backup this up to the cloud. Something to do with not being able to track the delta changes. But as I say I've never tried it.

John

I can verify that this is not possible. Have tried it first-hand. Instead I backup Mac files to a WHS CrashPlan share and to a local TM USB HDD. I then also backup the files on the Mac using Drivepop.