RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

OSX Time Machine backups to Network Folder

Bmouthboyo

Hi Guys,

I am aware from my research that it is possible with some tweaking to get my time machine backups for my macbook air and my wifes imac to use my new HPN54L micro server which is running on Server 2012 Essentials R2.

I am new to this server stuff so still very much learning but intend to use a 3TB HDD exclusively for OSX Time Machine backups, a personal Network folder each for bits and bobs, and a shared Folder for Software etc we both might need access to.

My question is, can I format the HDD's as windows server will see fit (not sure what that would be? FAT32? NTFS?) or will I need to partition the HDD and format the Time Machine partition as something TM wants like SMB or APF (no idea what these are TBH).

Furthermore will I have issues with Windows based OS and OSX based both using network folders. I remember having to install software on my MAC or PC to be able to share a HDD.

Also if I had issues with my MAC will I be able to restore from the network backup? Or would I need to transfer the backups to a HDD and plug that into a USB on the mac?

Sorry for all the questions, just about to install my 3x 3TB HDD's and want to ensure I set them up and format correctly.

Bmouthboyo

A little more research has shown that Mavericks uses SMB2 which is what Microsoft uses so should be fine. My only question really is is it wise to create a partition on my 3TB HDD dedicated to Time Capsule backups or can I just use a dedicated shared folder?

In past, I've found Time Machine backups to WHS work except restoring from TM on a new OS X install either aren't possible or are much slower than a local USB drive.

Bmouthboyo

So in that event could you transfer the TM backups from the server to a USB and restore the Mac via that locally?

jmwills

A little more research has shown that Mavericks uses SMB2 which is what Microsoft uses so should be fine. My only question really is is it wise to create a partition on my 3TB HDD dedicated to Time Capsule backups or can I just use a dedicated shared folder?

I'd stick with a Shared Folder instead on creating a new partition.

Bmouthboyo

Can OSX see GPT partitions?

Can you explain what a GPT partition is and how I could use it? Is it just to enable 3TB size HDD's?

It's true that Mavericks uses the newer SMB2 protocol but this is only for direct file sharing with Windows machines. Time Machine still uses Apple AFP protocol which isn't supported on Server 2012. In the past there were a number of hacks which managed to get TM to talk to SMB shares but I don't think any of these work correctly with Mavericks any more - Apple tightened up the specs for the transfer protocol.

Unfortunately I think as far as TM backups are concerned, you are out of luck.

John