RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 and Hardware based RAID 0 Backups

DonaldR

I was setting up my back up schedules and all was going fine so I thought. 

Seems WHS2011 pauses/stops the back up when it moves to the raid 0 drives.  The set up is two 2tb drives set up in raid 0 with a High Point Rocket Raid 2720 SGL raid controller.

In the process of elimination I found that all the non-raid drives, C through E backed up with 100% success.  I then re-configured auto back up for only the Raid 0 drives, and started a manual back up.  WHS 2011's Dashboard shows that it is preparing the backup (you can see the heavy HD activity via the drive LED).  It then changes the message to "backing up" and there is no progress.  No HD activity, no percentage of progress.

If this is an incompatibilty with the Rocket Raid controller and WHS 2011 then I'd like to know for sure as I can eliminate my raid and run it as two separate drives.

The O/S is installed on it's own drive which is connected to the motherboard and completely independent of the raid.

The hardware is a Intel i5 CPU attached to a Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3SH revision 1.1 and 8 gB of Patriot memory. The backup drive is an external 3TB Seagate Contellation inside a enclosure connected via USB 3.0.

Thanks

Don

Los Angeles

Edited by DonaldR

In addition HighPoint assured me that the Rocket Raid 2720SGL is compatible with the Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3SH motherboard and WHS 2011.

The back-up is working now.  I updated the Rocket Raid drivers and may have fixed it.  It's also possible that compared to the much smaller smaller amount of data on the other drives this takes longer for the process to advance.

The idea of the external back-up is ot have easy access to the data in the event of a hardware failure within the server, or at least that is how I was taught.

I was just trying to eilminate a third party tool, not saying it is a bad practice to have the backups externalized.

I was just trying to eilminate a third party tool, not saying it is a bad practice to have the backups externalized.

The USB 3.0 drivers are included with the motherboard. 

Now that I actually sat down and read the section about back-ups in WHS2011 Unleashed Third Edition by Paul McFedries, I understand that I have been a bit impatient.  Once WHS2011 scans and checks for portions of the back-up which may need to be appended and either writes or skips over, the back-up moves quite quickly and finishes in a short amount of time.

I'm glad I opted for a enterprise quality 3TB drive for the external backup as WHS2011 keeps it quite busy while scanning through the existing files while looking for any changes or additions which are to be made.

Edited by DonaldR