RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CompTIA A+ certification

kylejwx

I am wondering about the opinion on the value of A+ certification. I just started looking at the test and it looks like it costs $188 and sample questions make it look like someone with basic tech skills could spend a couple days studying and pass it.

I am not saying this makes you an IT professional, but could it help you get a foot in the door?

No, in my opinion. It is a waste of of your resources. I've not seen many jobs in the padt ten years that ask for an A+ cert. Like you said, most anyone with basic knowledge could pass the tedt with effort.

If you are looking for a job in the tech field, specialize on something like Security or Virtualization for example.

I agree with jmwills. As a person who did hiring for 30+ years for a gov't agency, I can say that I, and my colleagues, put little value on most of these certification systems, even the MS ones.

At one time, these cert systems were so prevalent, and so useless in our opinions, that we started including a practical portion to our hiring process. We would set up a scenario that was appropriate to the position we were filling and challenge candidates to handle it. We once had a guy who had passed the MS Network Administrator exam come in for an interview. We put him through the scenario, which included a number of basic Windows Server & Domain tasks. The guy couldn't even create a user account! He wasn't hired (duh). :)

We used to call these job applicants "paper trained", just like puppies :D

I'm not saying there isn't a place for them, but the A+ Cert is probably the one of least value out there.   For most all US Govt jobs, you are required to hold a minimum set of Certs of which a couple must be kept up to date.

The further you go in the Tech field, someone is going to want you to have these Certs.

That's possible, but we stopped giving them any credence. We went with the philosophy of, "You say you're qualified to do this? Show us".

That said, I'm not saying we didn't go for, or value, training. Staffers went on training fairly regularly for all kinds of topics.

• Like 1

OK thanks for the answers on that. You kind of said what I thought you would.

What about for a job that specifically says A+ certification is preferred?

Can you post the description?  More of then than not, if you have a higher level of certification, they will overlook the A+ cert.  Highlight your experience and not just the Cert.

I agree. Many of them are simply stating that you must have "at least A+ certification", even if they don't state it exactly that way.