RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V and Firewire pass through

Poppapete

Will Hyper-V allow pass through to a Firewire 1394 card.  Purchased an old card for saving my Handycam digital tapes to a HD for posterity.  After a bit of research I'm pretty sure it won't work in 8.1 and maybe not 7 (Driver issues it seams). Before installing XP on an old box I thought I might try it in an 8.1 Hyper-V!!!

Almost certainly it won't work. Hyper-V really only allow disk storage devices to be passed-through and then they have to be properly recognised as a mass-storage device, ie a usb hdd gets recognised but a usb memory stick in the same port doesn't.

There is an outside chance that it will recognise the firewire card but I wouldn't bet money on it!

John

I think, to do that, you would have to install XP first, then install Win8. I don't think XP knows how to set up for dual boot on its own.

Yes, it's all too hard. So I went to my storeroom and found an old desktop, Dell Dimension 8400 from about 2005. It fired up (XP pro) no problems. Only has 512mb of RAM. (My current one has 32GB).  The fan is screaming so I guess the cpu paste is getting old and brittle. Waiting for the firewire card I bought on EBay to arrive.

Edited by Poppapete