RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How much is too much for my N54L

MrTPTF

I have an N54L running WHS 2011 on an SSD with 16gb ram and 9tb of storage.  I am currently only using it as a backup and file server for local devices using TV,movies, music and home videos/pictures files. I also use it to manage off site backup with Crashplan and files on OneDrive. In addition to this I also have an old media center PC running 64bit win 8.1 on SSD with an Intel Pen D 3.0 dual CPU and 4gb ram. I use this as a sever to primarily watch and record live TV as well as stream movies using my Xbox extender. All recordings and movies are stored on my home server.

I have added some Insteon devices to my network to mange some lights and garage door as well as a few video cameras to keep an eye on things.  I have basically been using my laptop with Houselinc and the Insteon App to manage my HA devices right now and would like to move Houselinc to one of my production servers now that I am done testing.  I do not plan on staying with Houselinc for long as I am thinking eventually I will move to mcontrol V3 My plan is to manage all my HA devices from my N54L as well as continue to use it as a file server. 

Am I putting too much on this little N54L box?

IMHO, there is only 1 way to know if it's too much.... try it. If it performs in a manner that's acceptable to you, then it's not too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Use Task Manager on your server to monitor CPU and memory usage and find out.  My gut is that you're not putting too much on the N54L in this process, but you'll want to bring your services over and monitor.

One other suggestion --if the mainboard supports it on your HTPC, replace that Pentium D with an entry level Core 2 Duo CPU.  You'll get better performance but much more importantly, less heat and less energy usage.  If the mainboard doesn't support it, I'd consider a modest upgrade just for the energy savings, and you'll get performance benefits too.