RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Plex as discussed on podcast #259

Dave

I'm running plex from WHS 2011 and I absolutely love it. I do find that is entirely eating my i3 3240t when streaming 1080p - basically maxing out all threads. This is with the "Make my CPU hurt" transcoding setting. Transcoding to my chromecast.

I just want to address one information - Amazon Instant Video(Prime/Non-Prime).
There is one category of native support device(stand alone via HDMI) that plays Amazon Video
- Google TV Devices(like ASUS Qube, Netgear NeoTV, etc.)

This is the link for complete list from Amazon.com Video Compatible Devices from Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices/ref=hp_3757_compatible

Recently, I purchased one of ASUS Cube(v2) and connected to my TV.
I have not had enough time to test to connect with WHS/Plex yet via DLNA or other,
but the first thing I have tested was the Amazon Prime Video since I have the Amazon Prime account.

It works good just fine as a stand along Amazon Video Streaming device like other streaming devices.

Correct me if I´m wrong but isn´t the Sync-thing you talked about available on the free version? I only have the free version and I can resume my media on any device. 

I think the sync-thing that comes with the Premium kit is to sync to offline? :)

I use Serviio to play (mkv,avi,mp4)  to my Sony Bravia TV's ( I have 3) and it works well but the interface is very basic.  Would love to try Plex if someone can tell me how to get it to a Sony Bravia.

I am due for a HD TV replacement in the near future. If there are specific model TVs that run Plex and can output to an AVR via HDMI that would be ideal. Though with a dedicated HTPC I'm able to run Plex Home Theater app with direct streaming, no transcoding and DTS-HD playback. Am guessing these new Smart TVs aren't quite a viable replacement yet?

Correct me if I´m wrong but isn´t the Sync-thing you talked about available on the free version? I only have the free version and I can resume my media on any device. 

I think the sync-thing that comes with the Premium kit is to sync to offline? :)

I believe it is the full file sync and the cloud sync.  I think the free version syncs only on your local net but I could be wrong as I have not run the free version for a long time.

If there are specific model TVs that run Plex and can output to an AVR via HDMI that would be ideal

Most Samsung and LG seem to have a Plex app inbuilt. Not so for Sony.

I finally changed my server to a Core i7 for this reason. Transcoding via MyMovies brought my i3 to it's knees.

I'm on an i3 and trying to get over to Essentials and use an i7.  My i3 and it's 8Gb of RAM is severely taxed!