RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
santacruzskim

v1 Replacement: The End Is Near And I've Got No Place To Go!

ikon

How about upgrading your v1 box to 2011? Even the headless MediaSmart/Acer H340/et all boxes can be upgraded to 2011. It would give you a leg up on 2011 before having to upgrade the hardware.

Glavian

I have indeed had a chance to confirm the Unitrends "Free" backup and I can confirm that it does back up multiple version of Windows PCs; ranging from Windows XP to Windows 8.  It will also backup Windows Server 2008 R2 and Server 2012 (although the agent has to be manually installed on 2012, it can't be pushed out from the central interface).  I also saw options for backing up different flavours of Linux but that hasn't been tested yet.  There also does not appear to be any form of limitations in the free version, just have to give it enough space in the Virtual Hard Disk for backups.  This can be difficult to do with some kinds of NAS boxes, but I'm sure it is doable with iSCSI and such if people want to put in that kind of effort.

ikon

Have you done testing of Restorations yet?

diehard

Have you taken a look at Western Digital's DX4000 ?

It has a lot of things your looking for including backing up OSX.

santacruzskim

How about upgrading your v1 box to 2011? Even the headless MediaSmart/Acer H340/et all boxes can be upgraded to 2011. It would give you a leg up on 2011 before having to upgrade the hardware.

--i've never really run into any limitations with v1- it does everything i need it to. have people reported equal or better performance from something like my EX470 +2GB ram when upgrading to 2011? I certainly wouldn't want to be pushing this little box any harder and unless there were performance gains / less system strain, i really couldn't justify the upgrade.

Have you taken a look at Western Digital's DX4000 ?

It has a lot of things your looking for including backing up OSX.

--i did look at those a ways back. it definitely checks a lot of boxes and has a nice form factor i can plop right where my 470 currently sits. its also very set-and-forget, similar the mediasmarts, which is nice. it would be great to plug the thing in and be able to fully configure it w/o touching a manual or tinkering excessively unlike my current top choices.  the cons were always price, storage options, and reports of it running warm with fans constantly set to full blast to keep the thing cool and i think those still hold true for me today.

ikon

--i've never really run into any limitations with v1- it does everything i need it to. have people reported equal or better performance from something like my EX470 +2GB ram when upgrading to 2011? I certainly wouldn't want to be pushing this little box any harder and unless there were performance gains / less system strain, i really couldn't justify the upgrade.

My experience with upgrading my Acer H340 from v1 to WHS2011 is that it did run faster. It certainly didn't run slower. Also, WHS2011 is only $50, although it's getting pretty hard to find at that price. The biggest advantage is that WHS2011 will be mainstream supported til sometime in 2016 and will still get security updates (because it's built on Server 2008r2) for some years after that. Another advantage, to many people, is that it does not require a Domain be set up.

diehard

You should take a 2nd look at the DX4000 now that the DS5100/DS6100 are out. You could find it for cheaper. Remember the hard drives are ENTERPRISE class and therefor expensive because they are top quality always on RAID drives.

The fan is only on full blast during boot and sleep. I keep mine always on 24/7 when in use and it sits on my desk with a little noise from the disks when it's just resting. It will get a little louder when there is a lot of disk activity going on.

It comes with 2 USB3 ports so adding a backup drive or extra storage gives good speed.

I read that you can swap out the memory for 4GB for better performance.

Glavian

Have you done testing of Restorations yet?

Not with the free version, but I have done so at work.  Both file level and image based restores are pretty easy to accomplish.  Just need the Boot CD that is provided as a part of the software.  The interfaces are so similar that I would expect that the restores on the free version would work the same.

ikon

Excellent Glavian. Remember, it isn't a backup until it's been fully tested ;)

santacruzskim

So for anyone who cares what i ended up doing...

I couldn't resist the lure of a i3 TS140 being delivered to my door for $270.  It might not end up directly replacing my EX470 as the box that runs my house (I'd like something smaller and more streamlined, more dedicated toward storage w/o unnecessary components and extra space for things like graphics cards), but i know i'll get good use out of it as a test machine and possibly an archival solution for my business.

On the docket for 1st round of testing will be:

1. the UnRAID server OS
  2. FlexRAID [RAID-F variant] running on WHS 2011
  3. Stablebit DrivePool + Scanner on WHS 2011

i'll post my experience here if anything interesting happens. i'd like to think i'm going into this unbiased, but i'm about 80% sure i'll be ending up with option 3.

• Like 1