RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
santacruzskim

v1 Replacement: The End Is Near And I've Got No Place To Go!

awraynor

DrivePool and Scanner have been flawless for me. Wish I could say the same for 2011, but I'm sticking with it for  now.

• Like 1

Dave

Congrats on the new server. We should have a healthy and thriving TS140 forum soon!

• Like 1

cukusa

redo?! - nice find schoondoggy, definitely going to check that out.  lack of automation is a bit of a non-starter for implementing as my primary client backup strategy, but definitely looks like a good tool to keep around. i've been in the acronis camp for a while, but it looks like paragon have really made some great improvements since I last used them. Keep us posted on your travels through the world of non-microsoft-powered backups.

Quick update on my quest to replace my v1 machine: I'm currently looking at a Gen8, a Poweredge T20, or a ThinkServer TS140.  Amazingly, just like WHS 2011, it looks like i just missed the boat on good prices and availability for all 3, but I put in some price alerts so I'll be keeping an eye on all of them.  They all have their + / - and getting comparable data on subjective questions like "how loud is it" is difficult (I've seen the T20 described as "noisy" and "whisper quiet"!) so if anyone has experience with more than 1 of these to pull some useful comparisons from, that would be very helpful.

Also, I'm thinking of just picking up a license of WHS 2011 if I could get it in the $50 neighborhood.  If anyone out there has a copy sitting on the shelf they want to ship or an iso + license key they want to send over, lets talk!  Very interestingly, if you try to buy a TS140 from cukusa.com they give you to the option to throw in WHS 2011 for $50! Not sure if they wait to tell you they're out of stock until they have your credit card or if this is legit, but either way it caught my eye.

Sorry we didn't respond to your question sooner; we'll try to be more proactive sooner going forward.  Regarding your question, we do not offer any operating systems at this time.  But we do carry 2 versions of a Lenovo TS140 Desktop Tower Server ( http://cukusa.com/servers/tower-servers.html) and HP Pro Reliant server at very low prices.