RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote Desktop into Server 2012 R2 with Standard User

sprtfan

I know this should be easy but I'm having a hard time setting up the ability to RDP into Sever 2012 R2 with a standard user.  Can anyone tell me how to do it or show me a link that explains it?  I've been looking around and most of what I'm finding is for Server 2008.  Thanks

When I try to connect to the server from a standard user account I get a message saying that

"I need the right to sign in through Remote Desktop Services.  By default, members of the administrators group haave this right.  If the group you're in doesn't have this right, you will need to grant this right manually."

I think there is a Remote Desktop User group some where that I need to add the standard user to but I can't find it.  With in the user setup, I have everything selected there to allow that user to be able to remote desktop in.  I'm not used to group policy stuff though.  I tried to create a new group but didn't see an option to allow remote desktop when doing it.

I have a few programs running on the server that I would prefer not to have admin rights access.  I put all of my recorded TV shows and ripped movies on it and manage it with Mediabrowser3.  The user that Mediabrowser3 is installed under has to be logged in for it to work.  It goes out to get TV Show movies descriptions and images.  It would probably be ok and I do have an antivirus installed, but whenever I have something actively going out and downloading stuff from the internet I'd prefer it to be done on a standard user account instead of an admin.  Thanks

Okay that makes sense so what you really want is a Terminal Services user.  Try the above link and see if that does the trick.

Thanks, I think that took care of the problem I was having and can not connect via remote desktop from the standard user account.