RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
schoondoggy

Gen 8 USB Slim SATA adapter for ODD

adster01

I suppose in the house a DVD is appropriate if you're using your MicroServer for a media machine... but i've yet to find a reason to use one in my client's businesses... On another note, I've found one place that sells a floppy power plug to molex and then convert molex to SATA power, which i've been using for SSDs (sometime 2 in RAID1 on b120i w/ SA P222 as RAID5 for the cage).  I'm rolling out my 3rd Gen8 next week w/ a slightly lighter config (RAID5 w/ P222) and I'm happy w/ the price/config's etc...  I would love the b120i to do RAID5 on it's own to make the box cheaper (P222 is often more expensive than the Gen8 2020).  I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine you can do two RAID1 arrays w/ the built-in b120i and the 4-drive cage.  Anybody?  tia

Yes you can do two RAID1 arrays on the b120i, but remember the second set will be on SATAII.

kaptan62

I have a similar setup to you schoondoggy: SSD on the Sata Port 5 and 2 x 4TB sata drives on SATA Ports 1-2, B120i Controller

However I can't see to get both going at the same time.

What are the BIOS settings to boot from the SSD but still recognize the 2 x $TB drives?

Here is a link to all the images:

http://1drv.ms/1gbODR9

Regards.

schoondoggy

I have a similar setup to you schoondoggy: SSD on the Sata Port 5 and 2 x 4TB sata drives on SATA Ports 1-2, B120i Controller

However I can't see to get both going at the same time.

What are the BIOS settings to boot from the SSD but still recognize the 2 x $TB drives?

Here is a link to all the images:

http://1drv.ms/1gbODR9

Regards.

From your pictures it looks like you have enabled the B120i, but you don't have any logical drives.

What I did above was a single drive RAID0 for the SSD and a RAID 1+0 for the four data drives.

kaptan62

Thanks schoondoggy. I have 2 logical drives now. A RAID0 for the SSD and a RAID1 for the 2 sata drives in the bays.

However when I run the setup for Hyper-v core, it cannot find any drives.

What OS did you install?

Do I need to have a copy of the B120i driver on the setup USB key?

Regards.

schoondoggy

I think I loaded Windows Server 2012 E R2. I did have to put the driver for the B120i on a USB stick.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

sebus05

Why on earth they would make connection for ODD & not for normal SATA for SSD?

Nobody would need ODD in the current age? This unit is not really HTPC.

Now need to get soldering station out to sort the cables

sebus

Edited by sebus05

Darkk

Why on earth they would make connection for ODD & not for normal SATA for SSD?

Nobody would need ODD in the current age? This unit is not really HTPC.

Now need to get soldering station out to sort the cables

sebus

I would tend to agree but ODD isn't completely dead yet.   Some time ago I had heck of a time getting my PfSense firewall to install on dedicated hardware that didn't have a ODD.  I struggled with it and finally ordered a ODD for it.  Then the install went perfectly.  I later found out I could have used a special setting to make use of the USB flash drive to install.  But you know what $40 isn't big of a deal to have it as an option.

HP management console do make it easy to install from CD-ROM on a host PC but sometimes it's nice to have ODD as an option.

Only piece of hardware that is truly dead is the floppy drive.  No need for discussion there.

Edited by Darkk

sebus05

Never used Easy2boot yet?

Edited by sebus05