RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
schoondoggy

Gen 8 USB Slim SATA adapter for ODD

schoondoggy

I finally found a USB to Slim SATA adapter that is small enough to fit on the ODD in a G8:

00h0.jpg

This would free up the 5th SATA port for a SSD. A 7MM SSD will fit on top of the ODD. Running the ODD on USB, SSD on the SATA II port on board and four data drives in the swappable bays. No extra cards needed.

• Like 2

Joe_Miner

Very NICE!

ikon

Nice schoondoggy. I suspect you meant, but just forgot, to post a link to where you got it ;)

schoondoggy

Nice schoondoggy. I suspect you meant, but just forgot, to post a link to where you got it ;)

I need to do more testing before I post a link.

ikon

That's fair enough.

Darkk

Sweet!  

A little confused with the power wiring job there.  Looks like you replaced the floppy connector with a two pin connector and then spliced into another power cord?   Something Scotty would do. lol

schoondoggy

The power cord will be removed, it is from the old DVD cable.

schoondoggy

Cleaned up and running 2012E R2:

9ed1.jpg

B120i controller: RAID0 256GB SSD on SATA Port 5; RAID1+0 Four 2TB drives on SATA Ports 1-4.

ODD on USB controller purchased from here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221199099249?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I am sure others will work, this is the only one I have found that was thin and did not bump into any of the mounting brackets.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Nice Work Schoondoggy!

PetieG

I suppose in the house a DVD is appropriate if you're using your MicroServer for a media machine... but i've yet to find a reason to use one in my client's businesses... On another note, I've found one place that sells a floppy power plug to molex and then convert molex to SATA power, which i've been using for SSDs (sometime 2 in RAID1 on b120i w/ SA P222 as RAID5 for the cage).  I'm rolling out my 3rd Gen8 next week w/ a slightly lighter config (RAID5 w/ P222) and I'm happy w/ the price/config's etc...  I would love the b120i to do RAID5 on it's own to make the box cheaper (P222 is often more expensive than the Gen8 2020).  I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine you can do two RAID1 arrays w/ the built-in b120i and the 4-drive cage.  Anybody?  tia