RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

To Virtualize or Not to Virtualize?

Nightcreeper

Ok, hello everyone I am new to the site, and after reading an article on the "Super-Router" decided to join, as there seems to be a lot of like-minded (compared to me) people here. I have a couple of servers as follows:

1) Dell CS24-SC Dual L5420 Xeons (Quad 2.5Ghz Per Proc) - 16GB RAM - 80GB 10K WD Enterprise HDD {Rack Mount}

2) Dell Poweredge 2900 Gen 2 Dual X5365 Xeons (Quad 3Ghz per Proc) - 20GB RAM - 3x 10k rpm 146GB SAS Drives (RAID0) + 5x 250GB SATA Drives (RAID5)

The Rackmount is the one I want to (and currently am; Untangle 9.4.2) using as a UTM device/Router.

I would like to run something more efficient as the router side of things such as the Super-Router with PFsense + Untangle, and at one point, I was running PFSense as my router OS but it didn't have the "total" package threat system untangle does, so, I went with untangle, never fathoming the fact I could virtualize and run both. I have about 8 computers and about 6 portable devices at my house that we use regularly, plus the other server (minecraft and private WOW) that is up usually.

My setup is as follows:

Linksys Cable Modem -> CS24-SC -> Linksys SRW2016 Gigabit Switch -> Computers and a Linksys E4200V2 (Wireless AP via Bridge Mode)

Would you recommend to Virtualize and if so which system?

Thanks in advance.

Need more information.

Where is the UT at present?

Should it not be right after the cable modem?

The CS24-SC is the server with the UT on... as per his OP

Edited by Essexraptor

Sorry. Didn't read the post slowly enough.

I think in the end "geek accountant" gave up on his super router!

If you virtualize it you will have to use ESXi, Zen, or something other than Hyper-V.  If you want to invest the time, it should work pretty nicely but personally I would just pick one.  They have their strengths but considering the complication of setting up a VM host (assuming you are not already running one) it does not seem worth.  That said, if you already have something setup by way of a VM host, than if nothing else it would be fun to do.

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely virtualize.  I was using Untangle for a while, and I had minimal issues running on Hyper-V.  Unfortunately, it does require that you use "legacy" network adapters which are less efficient, but unless you're running 50Mbps internet connections, you should be fine.  Personally, I did switch to Sophos UTM, which I found to be a lot easier to manage.  They have a free license for home use.

As far as which machine, I would simply pick the one that I would never turn off.  My guess is that the first server in your list has the lowest power draw.

• Like 1