RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP PROLIANT N54L MICROSERVER Offer, Too Old ?

wartbump

Hi, I have a Netgear Duo v1 as my NAS but would like a NAS/server/mediaserver that I can put PLEX and other media related programs on.

An Online store is offering the HP PROLIANT N54L MICROSERVER AMD TURION II 2.2-2MB 2G/250GB for approx. $250. Not too bad although I know that I would probably have to upgrade the RAM and maybe the GPU. However this is not a particularly new machine, has anyone in the forum any comments/suggestions on this topic ?

Thank You

Hi CPU can't be upgraded.

It is capable of running Plex- I don't have any experience with transcoding and Plex - someone else here will probably weigh in on that.

Hi, I have a Netgear Duo v1 as my NAS but would like a NAS/server/mediaserver that I can put PLEX and other media related programs on.

An Online store is offering the HP PROLIANT N54L MICROSERVER AMD TURION II 2.2-2MB 2G/250GB for approx. $250. Not too bad although I know that I would probably have to upgrade the RAM and maybe the GPU. However this is not a particularly new machine, has anyone in the forum any comments/suggestions on this topic ?

Thank You

Edited by johnas

What OS are you planning to use?  Upgrading the RAM will help with file transfers but only to the point the OS can use the RAM.

I expect that I would try different OS's, I have had WHS2011 before and tried different Linux distros.

I rather like the look of Amahi aswell.

I think the N54L is still a very capable box for certain applications. If you need to do transcoding, you might want to look at something with a little more horsepower.