RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V and Blue Iris

Poppapete

BTW I did e-mail BI support and suggested he add SSL authentication to the web server.  He thanked me for the suggestion replied that they'll consider it in on going development and keep me posted.  At least it's not a flat out "No".

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• krom

• ikon

• Jason

• Poppapete

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried this. Works well. Configured OpenVPN to connect to my Sophos UTM. Then configured my BI app on my iPhone to connect to BI web server using its internal, LAN address (192.168.0.x). Assuming I've established an OpenVPN connection from iOS, I'm then able to access the BI Web Server securely. Sure, an extra step but a small one for peace of mind. Great idea.

More of a, "thanks for the suggestion; now go away and don't bother me" 

More like "thanks, I've added it to my gianormous internal to-do list. :) 

Tis a good suggestion though. As is adding a "web root" option... so one could reverse proxy it over a secure connection. Much how i have subsonic running on my server. Or a few other services. :)

Though, if you're using something like Sophos UTM... you could use the website protection to force it to HTTPS, I believe.

I've not yet tried that. Instead I just establish an OpenVPN connection and HTTP to the BI web server address using the internal LAN IP address.

OpenVPN? Wow. Granted, I haven't used it in years, but I do recall that it was something of a black art to get it working. Perhaps, hopefully, it's been greatly improved since then -- it sure needed it.

No, OVPN still a pain. However once you enable SSL VPN in Sophos UTM, it auto creates the .ovpn config file and makes it accessible via the web User Portal. You then login to the user portal from the client and select the approp client app (Win, iOS, Android, OS X) and it auto downloads either the client, config or both to the device. Then you just launch it - all is pre-config'd and automatic!

That actually sounds quite a bit easier than it used to be. 'Course, it sounds like it's SSL VPN at that point, which is much easier to set up from everything I've read & heard.