RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V and Blue Iris

Poppapete

Well, in the Dev world we use apache or nginx in front of app servers to do the SSL termination. You could always do this and it's very light weight.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• krom

• ikon

• Jason

• Poppapete

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in the Dev world we use apache or nginx in front of app servers to do the SSL termination. You could always do this and it's very light weight.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

How?

What you are looking for is called reverse proxy.

With apache, this can be achieved using mod_proxy. 

You would write rules to proxy anything on https://your_apache_server/ to your webcam host. You would have to generate self signed certificates as well. 

Here is an example write up with steps: http://www.nczonline.net/blog/2012/08/08/setting-up-apache-as-a-ssl-front-end-for-play/

Thanks. Now I just need to figure out how to setup a reverse proxy with Sophos UTM. My next project.

If you are behind a firewall or UTM appliance like Untangle or the like, you can not expose the BI webserver to the Internet and only access it through a VPN connection.  At least that's how I've set it up.  Obviously not as convenient as direct access but at least it's more secure.

Currently BI is running directly on my WSE12R2 box as a service. Leveraging my server's hardware. Not in a VM. Not sure I can limit BI itself from having internet access in this config?

Well you would basically not port forward your IP/Port for BI and your server on your router so you would not be able to browse to it from the outside.  Your server can access the Internet and that's not a problem as long as you can't hit your BI URL or IP/port from outside your network. 

I'm not saying this very clearly.  BI is running a web server and that server's URL is what you don't want people to be able to access directly from the Internet.  So if you don't port forward that in your router and don't have UPNP enabled you should be okay.