RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V and Blue Iris

Poppapete

Just started playing with my Hyper-V's on E2012 R2. First loaded BI in a W8.1. Add 1 Camera (2MP) and only gave an image about every 6 seconds. VCPU running at over 90%. Changed settings from 1cpu to 4 cpu's. Not much improvement. Should I run BI on the physical server rather than in a Hyper-V?

Server specs in signature below.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• krom

• ikon

• Jason

• Poppapete

Top Posters In This Topic

Loaded BI onto the server. With 2 Cameras CPU (Intel E3-1230 V3 4 core 3.3 GHz) usage runs at 40-50%, too much to run 24/7!!??

On my desktop with 2 Cameras CPU (Intel i7-3930 4 core 3.6GHz ) usage runs at 15-20%

Maybe best to get a dedicated box to run BI.  Wonder if it needs more cores or more GHz.

Can't believe the i7 so much more powerful than the Xeon for this App. !!!

DVRs and NVRs do draw power 24/7. There is not much that can be done about it; it's the price you have to pay to get the security.

After spending time on the Cam-it forum I discovered direct to disk recording which bypasses the OS.  CPU dropped 10-20%.

Then I dropped the frame rate from 30 to 15. Not much effect on video quality for my purposes.

BI now probably using CPU at an acceptable level.

Interestingly you can have all 3 cameras running on both desktop and server at the same time to compare and help with the setup.  These 3MP Hikvisions are amazing for the price. I get 15 days to run both before the demo license runs out and I have to make my decision which one to keep.

I am too old to worry about power consumption.  My kids or grand kids will have to survive with less inheritance.

Edited by Poppapete

I am too old to worry about power consumption.  My kids or grand kids will have to survive with less inheritance.

LOL, I hear that! :)

Is it possible within Blue Iris to configure HTTPS access to camera feed?  Seems like HTTPS is a must these days especially for access to home surveillance.  Does anyone have a guide of how to do this?

IDK how to do it with BI, but I would agree it's something you want these days -- you don't want just anybody viewing your security cam feeds.

IDK how to do it with BI, but I would agree it's something you want these days -- you don't want just anybody viewing your security cam feeds.

Yikes - this is rather disturbing.

http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=6615.msg37458#msg37458

Does anyone know of a comparable application to BI that offers HTTPS encryption?

Edited by Jason