RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need expert help with WS2012R2 backups

I've been using WS2012R2 for quite some time now without issue for a storage server as well as a backup server.  Just recently, I've had some issues when trying to backup one of the client computers (which has been working without issue for months).  Automated backups have failed daily and when I try to run a manual backup I get the following error...

"Backup cannot connect to the Windows Server Essentials Client Computer Management Service on your network computer.  If this problem persists, you may be able to resolve the issue by restarting the client computer"

Now I've tried the suggestion to reboot and of course that doesn't work.  I've also looked at the services on the client computer and it's not started but "manual", however this looks the same as my other client computers that successfully backup each day.  I've googled the issue with out success so I thought I'd check with the experts here.  Any ideas what could be going wrong?

stumpy

jmwills

........and make sure that service is running on the server.  I would also run a diagnostic check on the drive being used for backups.

Static or Dynamic IP for the server?

Don't forget the option of uninstalling the Connector from the client and reinstalling it. Given that it's WSE2012r2, you may also want to unjoin the client from the Domain and redo the whole process.

Another option would be to do a restore of the client to a time when you know it was working.

It might also be a good idea to test the OS drive in the client, to make sure some corruption hasn't crept in.

Drashna Jaelre

Experienced this after the poorly named "Server 2012 R2 Update"....

Run "wbadmin delete catalog" on the server. You'll need to re-setup your backups.

Also, took me two days to verify this.... mainly because I didn't want to do it. Has a similar issue on R1.... and never got it fixed. Lots of "wbadmin delete catalog" commands.......

Edited by Drashna (WGS)
Drashna Jaelre

It's the same thign as the "infrastructure service" issue. Since all those services were rolled into the "management service".....

And like I said, I experienced this issue myself. Fought with it for a couple days because I refused to run "wbadmin delete catalog" despite knowing it would probably work.

What's worse is that I bugged it with Microsoft, because I was able to reliably reproduce the issue on R1.... "oh, sorry, we can't repro it, so closed". Guys, want me to send a video? Because pulling a drive was all it required on R1 to cause the issue... Or changing the drive order, or adding a drive. Et cetera. Part of why I upgraded.