RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Weird SMART behavior

GDog

Hey guys,

I have been having some very weird SMART report behavior on one of my WHS v1 HDD's. I have Stable Bit running as well as HD Sentinel. HD Sentinel is the SW that is sending me the updates. Here is a copy of the HD Sentinel log for the HDD. I will let it speak for itself:

4/19/2014 1:01:05 AM,#198   Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count  0 -> 1
4/17/2014 7:12:59 PM,#198   Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count  1 -> 0
4/16/2014 4:07:18 PM,#198   Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count  2 -> 1
4/14/2014 11:48:00 PM,#198   Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count  1 -> 2
4/7/2014 5:55:18 PM,#198   Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count  0 -> 1
4/5/2014 4:52:08 PM,#197   Current Pending Sector Count  0 -> 1

I have never seen a SMART report get BETTER after it got bad. Over the course of 2 weeks, it has gone from -0- bad sectors to 1, then to 2, then back to 1, then to -0-, then back to 1. HUH??? Has anyone else seen this happen? I don't know what to think. When it got to 2 bad sectors, I was going to remove it, but then it got better going back to 1, then none, now 1 again. Sheesh!

BTW: this is a WD20EADS drive that is a little more than 3-years old. Never given me any trouble until now.

Thanks,
GDog
Edited by GDog

I would check the Reallocation Event Count; see if perhaps sectors are being reallocated and thereby resetting the Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count.

Have you thought about sending this to the HDS author. Janos Mathe is very responsive and I am sure he will help you out with an answer.

Have you thought about sending this to the HDS author. Janos Mathe is very responsive and I am sure he will help you out with an answer.

No, I have never heard of this. How do I do that?

I would check the Reallocation Event Count; see if perhaps sectors are being reallocated and thereby resetting the Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count.

Reallocated Sector Count shows -0- zero.

No, I have never heard of this. How do I do that?

Reallocated Sector Count shows -0- zero.

In that case I agree, contact the creator of HD Sentinel. I suspect email is your best option.

I apologize. I now realize you abreviated Hard Drive Sentinel with "HDS" in your post. I just didn't make that connection before. Sorry.

<feeling stupid>  

GDog  :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Uncorrectable and Pending sector counts actually will decrease.

If the disk is able to access the sectors in question, or able to reallocate them, the value *will* drop. This is normal, and "healthy" actually.

If it makes you feel any better, I freaked out a bit when that happened to one of my disks recently. From ~700 sectors to 16.