RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
jmwills

Linksys WRT1900AC Wi-Fi router review

awraynor

I was at Best Buy today and was looking at these two routers. The Linksys is now $250 and the AC68U is $219 which is around the NewEgg prices. I am in the market for a new router,

and am still surprised how expensive routers have become. Given I want one that will last at least for a couple of years, would you recommend either of these or even the Netgear

Nighthawk? Not to be confused with the Netgear Nighthawk X6 that was just released at an astonishing $300.

Amazon has a Netgear R6300 v1 AC1750 router for $90 as yet another alternative. Are any of these worth it, but I do want an AC router for "future proofing". 

steve053

I just returned my Linksys WRT1900AC the other day.  Long story short the router was issuing MULTIPLE dhcp addressess to devices with a static ip address; even though the static ip addresses were outside of the dhcp address range.  As a result none of computers on my LAN were able to resolve the netbios name for my server and all backups failed.  I tried a firmware update and a factory reset, ended up with the same problem 12 hours latter.

Bummer as the wifi coverage was definitely better than my older Linksys.  Moved on to the Netgear Nighthawk router.  So far so good.