RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Has Anyone Tried FreeNAS

c0op3r

I know this a little off the mark, but I had an older network appliance that was not really worth doing anything else with, it was an old BlueSocket network security appliance(it had Intel MB w/ P3 Processor, 256Meg Ram & 20Gig HD).

I stuck a 512Meg memory stick, a 160gig HD (IDE), aand an old 10Gig Laptop HD as the OS/Boot Drive.

Well for those that are not in the know FreeNAS is a Linux based OS/Software package that is designed to run on older Hardware and can be loaded on a little as a 512Meg Compact Flash card. Well I loaded the OS and Swap File on the 10Gig HD and use the 160Gig HD to download files from torrent.

The install is very easy and once up and running the system can be completely controlled via a web based interface, there is a handful of services that you can setup to run, like I said I set my unit to basically be a Torrent Appliance that I control from a web based interface.

Also FreeNAS has no problem being on the network with WHS.

So has anyone else tried FreeNAS? Is anyone doing anything interesting with it?

I gave it a quick try, but have switched to using Unraid. Actually don't have Unraid working yet since the old motherboard I was going to use has fried. New motherboard arrives Monday so my Unraid server should be up and running early next week.

How have you liked the FreeNas setup? Are you doing it just for fun or do you have a specific reason for moving files off the WHS? In my case, I want to move my movies off the WHS and onto something that protects them in a more efficient manner than the duplication method used by WHS.

Mike

I have not tried UnRaid, and to tell you the truth do not even know what it is but I am going to go find out now.

But to answer your question; I like the FreeNAS, it is very simple to setup and use, and has no where near the features of WHS, but for what I do with it it is wonderful. It runs on my old hardware(too bad this old rackmount box is not quieter!), it has the native torrent services.

I just run Bit Che on my work station to search for the torrents I need, saving the torrent file to the 'torrent folder' on the FreeNAS box, it does the work, when its done it move the file(s) to the Map Drive I have setup as "T" on my work station. Seamless. Also with this setup if I need to say reboot my work station I dont have to worry about some service thats running in the back ground.

I had uTorrent installed on my WHS, but never really liked the fact that the box was exposed.

Hi Guys,

I started using FreeNAS when WHS first came out in beta and it has functioned very well ever since. Using a compact flash card to IDE adapter I put the OS on that memory card so there were no moving parts. I used a 1T drive for my data and then each night rsync would copy the new files from that drive to a second 1T drive to give me file duplication. The data drives are completely independent of hardware so I could pull a drive a put it into another FreeNAS computer and it would come right up. When I started using WHS I kept my FreeNAS box running as a backup server. I copied my important folders from the WHS to FreeNAS. It is like wearing suspenders with your belt, but isn't that what we are all about? The development of FreeNAS has been picked up by iXsystems, so look for more features. My main box is an EX495 and I have a Norco 530 as my home built, but if you want additional storage that just works FreeNAS is worth a look.

Ed R

I used it with great success until I built my first WHS. I wanted the additional functionality of the server, so a NAS box just didn't cut it anymore. But, for anyone that is trying to recycle hardware and a NAS will fit your needs, FreeNAS is definitely a great way to go.

Jaz

I know this a little off the mark, but I had an older network appliance that was not really worth doing anything else with, it was an old BlueSocket network security appliance(it had Intel MB w/ P3 Processor, 256Meg Ram & 20Gig HD).

I stuck a 512Meg memory stick, a 160gig HD (IDE), aand an old 10Gig Laptop HD as the OS/Boot Drive.

Well for those that are not in the know FreeNAS is a Linux based OS/Software package that is designed to run on older Hardware and can be loaded on a little as a 512Meg Compact Flash card. Well I loaded the OS and Swap File on the 10Gig HD and use the 160Gig HD to download files from torrent.

The install is very easy and once up and running the system can be completely controlled via a web based interface, there is a handful of services that you can setup to run, like I said I set my unit to basically be a Torrent Appliance that I control from a web based interface.

Also FreeNAS has no problem being on the network with WHS.

So has anyone else tried FreeNAS? Is anyone doing anything interesting with it?

I finally got my Unraid server running (bad hardware issues). So far, I have moved 2TB of data over to the server and have had no problems. I have another 2TB of movies to move over, but will need to get another drive before I do that. Also, I am using the free version of Unraid which limits the drives to only 3. After a couple of weeks of testing, I am also ready to pull the trigger and purchase the Pro version (20 drive limit) for $119.

In my case, I didn't want to duplicate almost 4TB of video (movies & TV shows) for protection. Given I am only half way through my movies and anything new is going to be Blu Ray, WHS didn't seem like a long term solution for this type of data. However, WHS remains my main file server for everything else.

Mike

I finally got my Unraid server running (bad hardware issues). So far, I have moved 2TB of data over to the server and have had no problems. I have another 2TB of movies to move over, but will need to get another drive before I do that. Also, I am using the free version of Unraid which limits the drives to only 3. After a couple of weeks of testing, I am also ready to pull the trigger and purchase the Pro version (20 drive limit) for $119.

In my case, I didn't want to duplicate almost 4TB of video (movies & TV shows) for protection. Given I am only half way through my movies and anything new is going to be Blu Ray, WHS didn't seem like a long term solution for this type of data. However, WHS remains my main file server for everything else.

Mike

I have no where near that amount of storage on my FreeNAS box, but I have no need for it either. I have an old 160gig HD in the FreeNAS box as all I use it for is a BitTorrent Server, once I have whatever files I need the get moved to the WHS box for permanent storage, which currently has 6TB, but I am going to go to 10TBs total in the box.

I don't have a HTPC (yet) so no need for UnRaid, but it seems like the perfect solution once that time comes.

• 1 month later...

Have any of you guys used FreeNAS as an iSCSI storage source? I had looked into it a few years ago, but decided not to try it after coming across a number of forum posts saying it was flakey at best...