RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WS2012 r2 VPN connection with Windows Phone 8.1

Has anyone successfully established a VPN connection from their Windows Phone 8.1 device to a WS2012 r2 server.  I keep receiving an error indicating there's no Internet or WiFi connection present on the phone.

If I disable WiFi and try to establish a VPN connection via a cell data connection it just times out.  Again, the VPN works fine for laptops / desktops that connect to it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Not specific recommendation, but it seems reasonably clear that there is something wrong on the phone side. The first thing I would look at is the VPN program on the phone. Perhaps it's not authenticating properly.

I've got port forwarding set up for port 1723 for PPTP and it's working for standard client PC/laptop access - thanks for checking that angle.  I can't help but wonder if the WP8.1 developer preview is a little buggy on the communications side of things - at least for the Lumia Icon.  In addition to this VPN problem, I've noticed a significant WiFi signal strength reduction on all WiFi networks and my geofencing-based stuff with Cortana doesn't work at all.  Might need to post to a WP8.1 forum at this point!!

Thanks for the insights...

Rensul

Might need to post to a WP8.1 forum at this point!!

Sounds like a good idea. Would you mind posting back if you find a solution?

Drashna Jaelre

If you have any other devices (or lets say a Lumia without the preview build) to test on. 

Nice info Drashna, and so concise too :)

Welcome. I've messed with the VPN stuff a LOT. 

Oh, and consumer routers sometimes have a section on the firewall/security for passing on this info. If so, it enables the specific protocol support. So check that too (same goes with DD-WRT and the like).

And just FYI, SSTP uses port 443, aka HTTPS. So if your website is accessible, you don't need to do anything else. And this is super convient. But I know iOS and Android don't support it. Just Windows. And I'm not sure about Windows Phone though. 

Sounds like a good idea. Would you mind posting back if you find a solution?

That is a very good recommendation. If other devices are connecting just fine, then you may have found a bug (and why it's not recommend to run previews in production)

WP Central forums has logged this as a specific issue in their WP8.1 Bugs and Defects Thread.  There aren't any details as to why other than to say the VPN service currently only supports "certain technologies / types".  I'll keep digging...

Drashna Jaelre

Sounds like it has issues with the protocols being used. Well, there is the list above. Please feel free to experiment and figure out what works.