RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L 2012 R2 Installation Problem

556556bt

I just bought 2 new N54L microserver and want to install 2012 R2. They were flashed with mod-bios first and set the 4 HDD into 2 pairs of Raid 1 mirror.

I install the OS in the original HDD connected at the CD-ROM sata port.

The OS of 2012 installed without any problem but the mirror disks created by the onboard RAID controller disappeared. Instead, 2012 installer shown 4 separated HDD. I double check it's 2 RAID 1 in the RAID controller.

If I try to use windows 7 or windows 2008 R2 installer, however it will become normal and shown 3 disks (2 mirrors + 1 original disk connected at port 5). I try many method even re-flash the latest factory BIOS from HP but no luck. It still shown 4 independent drives under 2012 R2.

Any solution to deal with that? should the latest bios update can work with onboard with Windows 2012 R2?

That's what I was getting at when I answered your other post.  Disable the NIC in the BIOS and then try to reinstall the OS, if installing the OS is an issue.

You will need HP's latest BIOS, SP64420.exe, to be able to run S2012R2, S2012R2E, or Win 8.1 on a N54L, N40L, or N36L.

Check out the Blog Posting: HP ProLiant MicroServer BIOS Flash with SP64420.

I would suspect R2 is missing a driver as part of the OS, whereas 2012 has that driver.

I think so but why Windows 8.0 show no RAID mirror disks too? I tried the windows 8.0 installer, it shows 4 disks instead of 2 mirrors 

That's what I was getting at when I answered your other post.  Disable the NIC in the BIOS and then try to reinstall the OS, if installing the OS is an issue.

Do you mean that even I applied the latest bios (Nov, 2013) from HP, I still need to disable the onboard NIC in order to make the onboard raid controller function properly under windows 2012 r2?

You will need HP's latest BIOS, SP64420.exe, to be able to run S2012R2, S2012R2E, or Win 8.1 on a N54L, N40L, or N36L.

Check out the Blog Posting: HP ProLiant MicroServer BIOS Flash with SP64420.

In fact, this newly N54L comes with latest bios (Nov, 2013) when unboxing. I tried the modified bios in order to have ODD SATA full speed. 

I re-flashed it with original bios download directly from HP after raid issue occur. However, it is no luck that function like in Windows 2008 to have the RAID mirror shown

Let's back up.. Did the OS install properly?  Can the server get to an external IP Address (i.e., the internet)?

Let me clearly state my N54L configuration and problem.

Bios:

Initial unboxing - 041 (10/01/2013)

then flashed the modified bios (Modded Tobi OO BIOS)

Finally, re-flashed the SP64420 directly download from HP website.

HDD

One WD 500G connected at SATA port 5 (ODD) to install OS (windows 2012 R2). 

4 WD Red 4TB, prep to build 2 pairs of RAID 1 Mirror. to have 2 * 4TB under Windows 2012 R2 for data

Network

Onboard NIC function well and connected to Internet for windows update. 

Problem: 

Windows 2012 R2 can successfully installed on WD500G at sata port 5.

It has no problem booting in both IDE or SATA mode (in modified bios). 

Under Windows 2012 R2 

2 pairs of RAID 1 mirror disappear but shown as 4 independent 4TB disk drive in Disk management.

Under Windows 2008 R2

Function properly: 2 pairs of mirror created by onboard RAID shown and R/W without any problem

Let's back up.. Did the OS install properly?  Can the server get to an external IP Address (i.e., the internet)?

Yes the OS (Windows 2012 R2) installed smoothly and works well, Updated with Windows 2012 R2 Update 1 too ...

NIC connected and downloading files well  

Basically, the OS is boot and works normal except cannot detect the created RAID disks. 

Edited by 556556bt

This could be an Update 1 error associated with the new BIOS.  Have you tried flashing the BIOS back one version?

Do the drives show in the BIOS?  Do the drives show in the Computer Management/Disk Management App?

This could be an Update 1 error associated with the new BIOS.  Have you tried flashing the BIOS back one version?

Do the drives show in the BIOS?  Do the drives show in the Computer Management/Disk Management App?

I don't think this problem is due to Update 1. Because I tried the Windows 8.0 and Windows 2012 R2 evaluation installer. 

Both show the same disk listing (4 interdependent disks  + 1) instead of (2 mirror disks +1)

I haven't yet re-flashed the older version of BIOS as I don't if it's capable to do that or which version I should choose to downgrade. 

Btw, 4 physical WD 4TB drive is shown in the BIOS and RAID controller screen. 2 Logical drive is listed in raid controller too. 

In Computer management --> disk management, 4 physical / logical drives shown in Windows 2012 R2.

While 2 logical drives (raid 1 mirrors) is shown in Windows 2008 R2

Edited by 556556bt

I have not tried the Modded BIOS that was based on SP64420.

When you switched from the Modded BIOS back to the Stock SP64420 it may help to set Optimal Defaults in the BIOS.

I do know that the stock BIOS SP64420 works with the System Board RAID Controller on the N40L with Win 8.1 -- I'm running VR's in slots 1 & 2 (Ports 0 & 1) in a RAID0 for my OS drive on 2 N40L's.  On both machines the onboard SATA and eSATA are in combined IDE emulation mode (the stock setting) -- this was necessary with the old BIOS too if you wanted to run the on board RAID controller.  On one machine I have the Onboard SATA plugged into a Blu-Ray/DVD burner/reader and on the other I have an Icy Dock DuoSwap attached to two ports on a Rocked 640L.

@JMWills: If you go back one version on the BIOS then Win 8.1, S2012R2, & S2012R2E will not work or load.